Quantcast mirrorless interchangeable vs. prosumer compact

+ Reply to Thread

Default mirrorless interchangeable vs. prosumer compact

Hello, I'm debating between investing more money and getting an MILC or having a more travel-convenient prosumer compact. Advice would be greatly appreciated as I've overwhelmed myself with too many options and can't seem to make up my mind.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

My budget is $1000 including the lenses/accessories.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

I need to be able to carry it around with me all day, either around my neck or in my pocket. As I'll be traveling in winter, my pockets should be larger so the camera doesn't have to be ultra thin but I would still like it not to be a burden.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    I don't really care about MP? After reading about a few (50) cameras, it seems that MP is less of a concern as it really depends on the other equipment.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) I would like more than the standard 3x-4x, but it doesn't have to be an ultrazoom either.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 9.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    I'll be taking a lot of outdoor shots including scenery/architecture but not necessarily in bright daylight. I'm getting this camera because I'll be traveling but I live in Alaska where there's not much daylight (well, until at least May) and I'd like to be able to use it, of course, when I get back home. So good performance in low light is necessary. I would like the camera not to lack in indoor shots, too.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yes, I have a dog.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I like Samsung because I've had good experience with other products. Of course, I realize this has nothing to do with how their cameras will perform.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? MILC: Samsung nx300, Sony nex-6 Compact: Sony rx-100, Sony rx100 II, Nikon p7800, Lumix lx7, Canon g15

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    I like the idea of a rotating LCD for shots of tall structures which I think wide angle would then also be needed?

Basically I want a camera that's travel-friendly, can take excellent architectural photos as well as indoor photos, and perform well in low light. I keep seeing the rx100 recommended as an amazing compact camera with superb image quality but it has such a low zoom which the p7800 can top with a 7.1x zoom but that has slow autofocus and narrow aperature. Also, I wonder if the rx100 II is worth the extra $250 over the rx100. I also saw a rave review for the lx7 which is the least expensive camera I've been looking at so that's giving me some thought as well.

I don't know if I should just get the nx300 with a zoom lens so I can just change lenses or if it's not worth the hassle and the potential cost. I just don't know- there are so many things to consider! Thanks for any advice and I apologize for all the jumping around. I've been looking around for about a week and my choices seem to get more confused than narrowed down when trying to decide by myself.

Super Moderator

Default Re: mirrorless interchangeable vs. prosumer compact

The MILC cameras have better image quality than even the excellent compacts like the Sony RX100 and Panasonic LX7 because the MILC's have larger sensors. If you're OK with the idea of using multiple lenses and don't mind the slightly larger size of the MILC's compared to the compacts, the MILC's are a better buy, in my opinion. If you decide to go that route, keep in mind that the Samsung NX300 lacks a popup flash, which most of its competitors have. So you might want to consider the fine MILC's made by Olympus (the EPL series), Panasonic (GF series), Nikon (the Nikon 1 series) and Sony (the NEX series).
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I need to be able to carry it around with me all day, either around my neck or in my pocket.
    When I do carry a camera all day, this is always with a bag. A neck strap is a fuss, even with the tiniest camera. The only cameras small enough for a pants pocket all day is an ultracompact. A coat pocket will let you get away with an advanced compact. Camera bags do not have to be as big and bulky as a DSLR bag for a bunch of lenses. The little bag I got for my MILC can slip on my belt. So if your "all day" mission rules out a coat pocket, start looking at small camera bags. Get the biggest bag you would be comfortable with all day. Then look for the biggest camera that fits into that bag. Link for more thoughts on camera bags -

I just want a nice camera bay.

Combining "more zoom than 3X" and "pocket size" definitely rules out MILC. Even if you put an optional high zoom lens on a MILC, the resulting size will demand a camera bag.

If you are going to be using manual control all the time, get a Canon G12/15, Canon G1 X, or Nikon P7#00. While MILC certainly do have manual control, using these manual controls is a bit fussy. With my MILC I use Program mode and Shutter priority mode a whole lot more than true Manual mode.

A fold out LCD is nice, but I would not make that a hard requirement. Unless you are doing a lot of extreme closeup work. Most LCD screens will now brighten enough that you can view them from an off angle.

The usual 28mm eqv WA setting is pretty good, even for buildings. There are UWA lenses for MILC, but if you get that serious I think a DSLR is more appropriate.

The main advantage of the RX100 II over the original is the hotshoe for flash. But since you are keen on a pocket size, it doesn't sound like you will be packing a flashgun too?

My suggestion about picking out the bag first is a serious one.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thank you for all the great input! I think I've narrowed down my options to just MILC since I don't mind having multiple lenses or having to carry a bag if needed. I'd rather have the flexibility of being able to use different lenses for different shots than having to choose between wide angle or a good zoom for the sake of being able to carry it in a pocket.

Now my question is which MILC to get. So the nx300 requires me to buy an external flash, correct? I guess I don't mind that TOO much but I would like to know if overall, the nex-6 is a better deal. It seems the significant advantages of the nex-6 are that it has built-in flash and an EVF but the nx300 has a touchscreen which could help with ease of use? Both don't have image stabilization; is that terribly important?

I looked at the other brands suggest but all seem to fall short in comparison to the nex-6 and nx300. The Panasonic gx7 seemed like the best potential competitor of the other two as it has a touchscreen, an EVF, built-in flash, and image stabilization but the price is about $200 higher, has much lower image quality, and slower auto-focus.

Which of the three (nx300, nex-6, gx7) seem like the best value and overall MILC? I want to be able to keep this camera for a long time and not have it fall incredibly behind in specs soon. Thanks again for all the help!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ehkang27 View Post

Now my question is which MILC to get. So the nx300 requires me to buy an external flash, correct? I guess I don't mind that TOO much but I would like to know if overall, the nex-6 is a better deal. It seems the significant advantages of the nex-6 are that it has built-in flash and an EVF but the nx300 has a touchscreen which could help with ease of use? Both don't have image stabilization; is that terribly important?
    It's hard to say which is a better deal. If you like the option of using a viewfinder the NEX 6 is preferred. If price is very important the low price of the NX300 might tip the scales in its favor. As far as image quality and performance are concerned both are very good. That they don't have image stabilization in the body is not a problem as they use lenses that have very effective optical image stabilization built into them.

I looked at the other brands suggest but all seem to fall short in comparison to the nex-6 and nx300. The Panasonic gx7 seemed like the best potential competitor of the other two as it has a touchscreen, an EVF, built-in flash, and image stabilization but the price is about $200 higher, has much lower image quality, and slower auto-focus.
    Yes the Panasonic is more expensive but it does have more features than the other MILC's. I don't know where you read that its image quality is much worse and it has slower auto-focus. The reviews I've read praise its image quality and note that its auto-focus is very fast and accurate.

]Which of the three (nx300, nex-6, gx7) seem like the best value and overall MILC? I want to be able to keep this camera for a long time and not have it fall incredibly behind in specs soon. Thanks again for all the help!
    Get the one that best meets your needs in terms of size, appearance, features and general "feel". Just don't worry about image quality or speed - all are excellent in those aspects.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I'm not familiar with the NX300, but a flash attachment may be included with the basic camera kit. Nor do I know just what deals you have found on the NX300 and the NEX-6. If they were the same $$, I would get the NEX-6 for the viewfinder. I have had a number of cameras over the years, none with a touchscreen. In theory this makes closeup photography a little easier as you can touch the object you want to be in focus on the LCD. I don't mind the conventional methods for focusing, so this means very little to me. As Andy says, the IS is there, just in the lens instead of the body.

I also agree with Andy that the notion that IQ for the NEX is "much" better than for the Panny GX7 is very odd. Sounds like you may have found a NEX fanboy.

I'm cheap, my idea of best value for a MILC would be an Olympus PL5, Panasonic G6, or Sony NEX-5n. These are now priced substantially under the latest and greatest models. The MILC market is changing much faster than any other camera segment. Thus any MILC you buy today will be "behind in specs" in a year, or less. My approach would be to get the one that is comfortable for my checkbook, instead of sweating specs.

Kelly

After looking at deals online and thinking about my budget, I ended up getting the Sony nex-5r with a 16-50mm lens for $430. I figured for half the price of the others, it was a great deal. Plus what Kelly said about the MILC market changing so often made a great point. If I really get into photography, I could always upgrade later, right? Thank you both again for the great advice! I probably would still be juggling between 5+ choices had I not had your guys' input.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ehkang27 View Post
    After looking at deals online and thinking about my budget, I ended up getting the Sony nex-5r with a 16-50mm lens for $430. I figured for half the price of the others, it was a great deal. Plus what Kelly said about the MILC market changing so often made a great point. If I really get into photography, I could always upgrade later, right? Thank you both again for the great advice! I probably would still be juggling between 5+ choices had I not had your guys' input.
    Congrats. The NEX 5r is a fine little camera with a large sensor and excellent image quality. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The 2 things that make your NEX choice attractive to me is that Sigma is now making lenses for the E-mount, and as a later upgrade the A3000 (or its successors) looks promising.

Kelly

Thread Information