Quantcast Bridge camera with USB charging

+ Reply to Thread

Question Bridge camera with USB charging

Hi all, I'm after a new camera, possibly two. I've currently got an Olympus SZ-14 which I really don't like and a DMC-LX5 which I think is fantastic as a point and shoot.

I'm on the lookout for a bridge camera, but one of the features on the SZ-14 really stands out which is the ability to charge it directly from USB. My major gripe with cameras is needing to carry multiple batteries, trying to remember to charge them all etc and the simple solution for me would be to purchase a battery pack to keep iPhones & Cameras charged whilst I'm out. Despite my gripe, I'm likely to keep the DMC-LX5 as my P&S unless something stands out, but definitely want to ditch the SZ-14 for something alot better, USB charging is a priority feature but I don't really want to have to sacrifice quality for it.

Trying to find cameras with this feature is pretty difficult, all I can find is people on Yahoo Answers asking "why would you want that feature" #helpful.

Budget is 300 each, would like to know what options there are for both P&S and bridge camera, but priority is the bridge camera.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by T4FF; 10-15-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: dodgy acronyms!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Bridge camera with USB charging

I'm not sure what you mean by "pos" and "bridge". Generally cameras are divided into three basic categories, point and shoot, mirrorless interchangeable lens (MILC) and DSLR's. The MILC and DSLR's have better image quality than the point and shoots. The point and shoots are themselves divided into several categories, short zoom compact, long zoom compact, large superzoom and large sensor compact. Your SZ-14 is in the long zoom compact category, your LX5 is a large sensor compact.

Why don't you like the Olympus SZ-14?
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 10-15-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I've adjusted the initial post, my brain somehow converted point and shoot to POS???

As for "bridge" I'm not all that experienced with cameras if I'm honest, but I thought the term "bridge camera" is used to define the camera group that the likes of the DMC-FZ62 is in? Bridge camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why don't I like the Olympus SZ-14? I used to have a DMC-FZ27 which I really liked, image quality was great but I lost it. I replaced it with the LX5 as I opted for picture quality over zoom. However, more recently I realised there were times I really could have done with more zoom so I picked up (for rather cheap I might add) the Olympus as a backup camera, but in using it I'm not so happy with the picture quality compared to the LX5 and if I'm honest, I've found myself simply not using it because of that.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The difference in image quality between a larger superzoom like the Panasonic FZ62 and its cousin, the compact superzoom the Panasonic TZ40, is not that much, if any. The larger superzoom has a more comfortable grip, an electronic viewfinder and easy access to manual controls plus more optical zoom. While the TZ40 does not have the image quality of the LX5, you'd probably be pleased with it.

Other cameras similar to the TZ40 are the Nikon S9500, the Canon SX260, 270, 280 and the Sony WX300. All except the Nikon come with a plug-in adapter for charging the camera's battery, though it's also possible to charge the TZ40 and the Sony (but not the Canons) with the usb cord plugged into the computer.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Bridge camera with USB charging

Thanks for your response.

You've implied it, but just confirming, the likes of the FZ62 aren't chargeable by USB?

Out of interest is there an obvious way to tell this from reviews / specs?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by T4FF View Post
    Thanks for your response.

You've implied it, but just confirming, the likes of the FZ62 aren't chargeable by USB?

Out of interest is there an obvious way to tell this from reviews / specs?
    If you're interested in the larger superzooms, the Panasonic FZ60 and FZ70 series, the Sony HX300, the Canon SX50, the Nikon P510 and 520 and the Fuji HS50 are all excellent. To find out whether you can charge them without removing the battery google the camera and "usb charging"
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information