Quantcast Nikon D5200 or Sony Alpha 58 Or any Other

+ Reply to Thread

Default Nikon D5200 or Sony Alpha 58 Or any Other

Hi All,
    I am very new to photography. I have Cannon P&S which gave me pretty much descent results.
    But now I want some more.

But in a dilemma now. With which camera should I go, Alpha 58 or Nikon D5200?
    I searched on internet Nikon D5200 is winner.

So please help me guys to choose. Third option is also welcomed if any.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Nikon D5200 or Sony Alpha 58 Or any Other

In addition to the Nikon D5200 and the Sony SLT A58 I'd also consider the Canon T5i (EOS 700D). All three have excellent image quality and movie quality and would be good choices.

The Nikon D5200 has more impressive specifications with 24 megapixels and 39 autofocus points, compared to 20/15 for the Sony and 18/9 for the Canon, but this does not give the Nikon a significant performance edge in real-world operation. What may be more important to you are the cameras' design and features. The Sony is a mirrorless camera and has better, quicker focusing when using the LCD screen. The Sony also has an excellent OLED electronic viewfinder, which some prefer to the optical viewfinders of conventional DSLR's like the Nikon and Canon. The Sony also has a sweep panorama mode, which the others lack. The Sony is smaller and lighter in weight than the other two, which may or may not be significant to you. The Nikon and Canon have a large, fully articulated (twisting) LCD, while the Sony's LCD is smaller and tilts only. The Canon has a touchscreen LCD, which can be very useful.

Here are some sample photos:
    D5200
    Flickr Search: Nikon D5200

T5i (EOS 700D)
    Flickr Search: canon 700d

SLT A58
    Flickr Search: slt a58
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    In addition to the Nikon D5200 and the Sony SLT A58 I'd also consider the Canon T5i (EOS 700D). All three have excellent image quality and movie quality and would be good choices.

The Nikon D5200 has more impressive specifications with 24 megapixels and 39 autofocus points, compared to 20/15 for the Sony and 18/9 for the Canon, but this does not give the Nikon a significant performance edge in real-world operation. What may be more important to you are the cameras' design and features. The Sony is a mirrorless camera and has better, quicker focusing when using the LCD screen. The Sony also has an excellent OLED electronic viewfinder, which some prefer to the optical viewfinders of conventional DSLR's like the Nikon and Canon. The Sony also has a sweep panorama mode, which the others lack. The Sony is smaller and lighter in weight than the other two, which may or may not be significant to you. The Nikon and Canon have a large, fully articulated (twisting) LCD, while the Sony's LCD is smaller and tilts only. The Canon has a touchscreen LCD, which can be very useful.

D5200

T5i (EOS 700D)

SLT A58

So you are suggesting me to take Sony Alpha 58?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post

D5200

T5i (EOS 700D)

SLT A58
    But I am finding D5200 pics of more quality isn't it?

Do any of your friends have a DSLR? If so, getting the same brand will let you exchange tips with them.

My Canon has only 9 AF points, but that turns out to be easy to live with. In a perverse way, fewer AF points makes AF an easier exercise. For serious multi-point AF, go with LiveView on the LCD anyways. Differences in that type of AF will be more serious, but I have not researched that. DSLR do not always do LiveView well.

Electronic viewfinders are a battery drain, if you are shooting all day long. Even with a conventional DSLR, it's still a good idea to pack an extra battery. But you won't have to change it as soon.

The cool imaging features built into Sonys are for folks who won't use an editor. I don't know any serious photographers who do not edit their images. All cameras come with a disk with an editor included.

These differences are minor, hardly major. But, my view only, Canon has an edge for portraits and landscapes, Nikon has an edge as a technical camera and for indoor shooting, Sony ergonomics are the best (for handholding). In theory there is a lens for Sony to match almost any lens from Canon and Nikon. However, shopping for Canon and Nikon lenses remains easier. (My bad, the SLT-A58 does have a standard flash hotshoe. ) There are very nice prices on used and refurbished Canon EOS 60D right now. Which arguably has a better build that the others discussed so far.

The differences in design and control layout are serious enough to make long visits to camera stores worthwhile. Pay attention to how comfy the viewfinder is, the Quick menu, whether the fold out LCD goes where you want it to, and how the lens feels.

Kelly Cook
    Last edited by KCook; 10-19-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: correction
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator

So you are suggesting me to take Sony Alpha 58?
    But I am finding D5200 pics of more quality isn't it?
    No, I'm not suggesting any one camera. As I said earlier, all three cameras are very good in image quality and movie quality but differ in features.
    I strongly suggest going to a shop where you can try out the cameras to see which feels better to you.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information