Quantcast First DSLR camera

+ Reply to Thread

Default First DSLR camera

Hey guys

I am currently looking at buying my first DSLR camera and need some assistance in choosing the right one for me. I have filled in the recommended questionnaire below:

Budget

- $2,000 - $2,250

Features

What optical zoom will you need?

- Not sure exactly how far a 200mm zoom can zoom (from review of lenses, this seems to be the right zoom amount), but something with a very good zoom would be awesome. (For wildlife photography)

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?

- Wildlife, Travel and Family shots

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

- Rarely

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

- Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

- Not important, but would like to.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like?

- Cannon or Nikon

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

- Nikon D7100 or D5200
    - Canon 70D or 7D

Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

- Image Stabilization

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Cheers

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: First DSLR camera

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

- Nikon D7100 or D5200
    - Canon 70D or 7D
    The Nikon D7100 is a better camera than the D5200 and the D7100 is well within your price range of $2,00-$2,250. In fact I've seen the D7100 bundled with two very good Nikon lenses, the standard kit lens and a long zoom lens, for under $2,000. This website reviewed the D7100 and found it to be excellent. Nikon D7100 Review: Fantastic Flagship

The Canon 7D is another excellent camera but it's a bit long in the tooth at this point (it was released in 2009) so the recently released 70D would be a better pick. The 70D is priced similarly to the D7100 (or perhaps a bit less).

As between the Nikon D7100 and the Canon 70D both are excellent but each has some features that the other lacks.

The D7100 has four more megapixels, 24 vs 20, a sensor without an anti-aliasing filter (for sharper images), more rugged construction, dual SD memory card slots, a viewfinder with 100% coverage (compared to 98% for the 70D), a slightly larger 3.2 inch diagonal LCD screen (compared to 3 inches for the 70D), a headphone jack, and a 51-point autofocus system (compared to 19 points for the 70D).

But the Canon 70D has some advantages too. It has a fully-articulated LCD screen (compared to the fixed screen of the D7100), a wide-angle LCD with a 3:2 aspect ration (compared to the more square 4:3 in the D7100) a touchscreen interface for the LCD, built-in WiFi, the ability to bracket seven frames (versus five for the D7100), and a dual autofocus system which delivers far superior and quicker autofocus than the D7100 when using "live view" (via the LCD) or when shooting movies.

As far as image quality is concerned both are outstanding.

I strongly suggest you spend some time with both at your local camera store to see which one has a better "feel", a more pleasing appearance and a better menu system.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

200mm is not a long enough telephoto for wildlife. There are, of course, appropriate lenses for both Canon and Nikon for this. But they will not be included in the initial camera kit, you have to buy them separately.

The Canon 70D and Nikon D5200 are a little more beginner friendly than the other cameras mentioned in the OP.

Links to a couple of rambles on the DSLR game -

Kindly suggest which Nikon DSLR to buy

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com...dslr-ever.html

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Just my $.02, having recently spent three weeks on the road in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, (and well over a month driving the Alaska Highway in 2009), a lens like a 70-200 is a nice setup for travel, family and close up wildlife, but for distant critters you can never have enough focal length. We had 400 and 600mm primes on cropped sensor bodies (600 and 900mm in 35mm equivalents, respectively) on pre-shutdown park tour, and he closest we got to elk and bears was maybe 1/4 mile - the atmospherics made a sharp shot pretty tough. I think you'd be happy with a 70-200 for most shooting, but it just won't get you close to the more skittish animals.

Thanks guys!

Decided to go with Canon 70D, slightly cheaper.

Cheers

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by jonty129 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Cheers
    Good choice! Let us know what you think of it.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 10-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by jonty129 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Cheers
    Cool, in spite of its advanced performance, this is an easy camera to learn. A few links that may help you start up the learning curve -

Friday Photo Tip: Understanding Your Camera's Mode Dial

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com...mystified.html

camera settings Archives - Digital Photo Secrets : Digital Photo Secrets

School Of Digital Photography: How to Photograph

Some folks still prefer books. A couple that I recommend -

The Beginner's Photography Guide: DK: 9781409322795: Amazon.com: Books

Digital Photographer's Handbook: Tom Ang: 9780756692421: Amazon.com: Books

Both books are by the same publisher "DK", but by different authors. The "Beginners ..." book focus on explaining camera operation and settings. The "Digital Photographers ..." book by Ang is a little more advanced. Instead of the camera it focuses on technique for different subjects. Both are written for the beginner level.

Kelly

The canon 70D looks good, here is a site with the detailed comparison for Canon70D and 7D , if needs, check out

From my experience with photography over the last 15 years I recommend Nikon. I have used all the others professionally and this brand is my highest recommendation.

A professional DSLR (like a crop-frame Nikon D300s, or full-frame D600, D800, or D4) for the body only, will cost ~$2000-$10,000 and $2000 for a standard zoom lens. Most pro full-frame lenses cost ~$2000, so if you wanted to get 2 more zoom lenses, you would be at $6000 for lenses.

Prime lenses are cheaper. These prices are subject to change dramatically due to various factors such as technology getting
    cheaper, inflation, buying used vs. buying new, buying right after the release date of the DSLR/lens, etc.

Feel and Navigation

A big difference between the entry-level models and the advanced models is that the advanced models are larger, heavier, and may have more dedicated buttons on the physical body of the DSLR. Dedicated buttons allow you to quickly and conveniently change camera settings on-the-fly by pushing a physical button on the camera body, instead of going into the menu system to change something. Entry-level
    models usually have fewer dedicated buttons on the DSLR body, which slows things down.

Some of the best advice is to find someone who knows a lot about camera's from the shop you are buying from. If your doing it online, ask me some more questions ...

Mark Davies
    Christchurch
    PhotographyMadeEasy.net | Stunning Photography Effects

Thread Information