Quantcast Need some help buying/deciding. (Newbie)

+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some help buying/deciding. (Newbie)

Budget

Maximum 200 £ but i would prefer something around 150 or so.

Size

Size does not really matter as much, but would have to be a decent size to it wouldn't be too much of a bother carrying it around.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? ---- around 14-15 mp would be fine.

* What optical zoom will you need? ---- something around 25x/30x

* How important is “image quality” to you? ---- I would say around 8.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? ---- Yes.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? ---- Landscape pictures, cities, moving objects.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? --- No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? ---- Maybe.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? --- Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? ---- Don't really care for Sony as much, but am open to a Sony cam if better/cheaper.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

First one is the Fujifilm FinePix s4500 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&psc=1&s=photo)
    I have been looking at it for some time now and i have a friend who has one and says he is pleased with it. But i noticed that they are available in 3 colors red/white/black and when looking at the different colors i noticed the prices are lower especially for the red one, and it shows the same specs, so i was wondering if anybody knows of any difference other than the color, because if not i really don't think i would mind a red one...
    And the second camera i was looking at Fujifilm FinePix s4800 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...=finepix+s4800) this one has 16MP and is practically the same price but i have not seem many reviews on it so it kinda puts me off a bit.

Hope somebody can help me with this. Much appreciated.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Need some help buying/deciding. (Newbie)

First one is the Fujifilm FinePix s4500 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&psc=1&s=photo)
    I have been looking at it for some time now and i have a friend who has one and says he is pleased with it. But i noticed that they are available in 3 colors red/white/black and when looking at the different colors i noticed the prices are lower especially for the red one, and it shows the same specs, so i was wondering if anybody knows of any difference other than the color, because if not i really don't think i would mind a red one...
    There's no difference between the two other than color. If you don't mind the red color, it's a real bargain.

And the second camera i was looking at Fujifilm FinePix s4800 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fin...=finepix+s4800) this one has 16MP and is practically the same price but i have not seem many reviews on it so it kinda puts me off a bit.
    Very similar to the S4500 but more zoom

Another camera to consider is the Pentax X-5, which has "only" 26x optical zoom but has good image quality

If you don't mind doing without a viewfinder, the Sony H200, Nikon L320 and Canon SX500 are good cameras as well.

None of the above cameras - the Fuji's, Pentax, Sony, Nikon or Canon particularly stand out. All of them should be within your price range.

Check out these sample images:
    Fuji S4500/4800
    Flickr Search: fuji s4500

Pentax x5
    Flickr Search: pentax x5

Sony H200
    Flickr Search: sony h200

Nikon L320
    Flickr Search: coolpix l320

Canon SX500
    Flickr Search: canon sx500
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

So, i looked all of them up and there is not that much of a difference between them, and since price wise the Red S4500 is the cheapest i think i will go with that one, i don't need anything fancy and i can't really afford an expensive one since i am a student, so thank you for helping me decide, plus if there are any problems at all amazon has a good return policy so i'm covered.
    Again thank you!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Good choice. Keep in mind that you'll need rechargeable AA batteries. Look for the hybrid types that won't lose their charge between uses.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

My sincere apologies for this, my mind was set on the s4500 but i recently found the Nikon L820 on sale bringing it down to 120£ ~ 200$ and was wondering if by any chance i could hear your thoughts on it, first thing i noticed about it is that it has 16mp, still the 30x zoom but can also shoot full HD which is pretty cool, but i noticed it does not have a optical viewfinder, i have seen some pictures and videos shot with it and they look good.
    Hope you could help me with this, thank you again.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Nikon L820 is a pretty good long zoom camera, but so is the Fuji S4500. The Nikon has a better video mode and higher resolution LCD than the Fuji but it lacks the Fuji's viewfinder and manual exposure controls. As far as image quality goes, the Nikon and Fuji both do well in good light, though the Nikon is probably better in low light due to its CMOS sensor. Like the Fuji, the Nikon L820 uses 4 AA batteries - rechargeables are best.
    Nikon L820
    Flickr Search: nikon coolpix l820

Fuji S4500
    Flickr Search: fujifilm s4500
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I wouldn't buy a Fujifilm XP150! This is supposed to be one of the best Sports Cameras on the market. The battery door seals on mine leaked sea water after 15 months, even though I took good care of it. It died. Fujifilm would not accept any liability as it was outside warranty, and because in the Manual they "recommend" that the seals are changed after 12-months. It didn't state that the seals "must" be changed or the camera will leak. I would have changed them if it had been stated clearly that they had to be changed. So, in my experience, fujifilm have been very unsatisfactory.

Thread Information