Quantcast Replace Fujifilm F100fd and Canon HF200 with a Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 II?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Replace Fujifilm F100fd and Canon HF200 with a Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 II?

Hi,

I have Fujifilm F100fd and a Canon HF200. Both these products is old today and it feels like thay takes not as good pictures/videos as when thay was new. For example the F100fd have some problems with the autofocus while the HF200 canīt be factoryreset and it takes laggy videos.

The f100fd have been used alot the HF200 not that much(but still worth the money it once cost).

It would be really great if these two products could be replaced with one, for example the Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 II. There is no doubt that it will replace the f100fd just fine, the question is if it can replace a full video comera like the Canon HF200?

If I was to buy two products today I would probably go for something like a Canon PowerShot S110 and a Panasonic HC-V720. Im not sure that eather one of the would replace my current products (as thay where as new)?

Budget
    I hope that the suggested replacements shows about what price range we are talking about

Size
    Its imporat that thay feets in to a large pocket(pants/jacket). The size of products I got today would be just fine.

Features
    Its important to produce good picture quality in lowlight. I usually takes photos inside. It is also important that it can take good macro pictures (product pictures).

General Usage
    Used to document my family

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Replace Fujifilm F100fd and Canon HF200 with a Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 II?

While camcorders can take still photos the quality is not going to be nearly as good as a fine camera, mainly because the sensor in a camcorder is much smaller than the one in a good quality camera. On the other hand, most cameras can take good quality HD videos, though they many not have the options and the ease of use of a camcorder.

So if you're interested in 1 device that does it all, a high quality camera is your best bet.

The Sony RX100 II is an excellent camera, in good light and low light, and takes great videos, but it has two major negatives. One is that it's very expensive - over $700. The second is that it has only a 3.6x optical zoom. You can save quite a bit and get more zoom if you're willing to compromise a little on low light image quality. For example the Panasonic LF1 is a high quality compact camera with a 7x optical zoom with only slightly less ability in low light. The Sony HX50v is not as good in low light as the LF1 or the RX100 II but it has a 30x optical zoom. The HX50v is less than 1/2 the price of the RX100 II.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Replace Fujifilm F100fd and Canon HF200 with a Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 II?

Thanks,

It sounds like I should go for a camera and a video camera that ends up equal to the full price of the RX100. I Supose that the zoom would be a problem in videos for the RX100.

My experions with videos from regular cameras is that thay often appears choppy.

This will not be a easy decision.

Depends on whether you actually use the zoom range of a video camera. Most people don't. And whether you use the video-specific control features of a dedicated video camera. Again, most people set it to full auto and leave it at that. The RX100 has some video limitations but as a single do it all pocketable thing that you can carry everywhere, it's pretty much unbeatable in my opinion.
    "The secret to photography? F/8 and be there." ~ Wilbur Garrett, National Geographic

Here's a detailed review of the Sony RX100 II vs some if its peers. I hope this will be useful http://savvyreviewer.com/sony-rx100i...s-fujifilm-x20

I have manage to reset my Canon HF200 videocamera and it should now work as expected.

I recorded the same video clips on both devices and can see that the Sony RX100 do give a sharper looking picture with less noise. The problem with RX100 is that it apperas to be a bit more choppy in playback (even when it is supose to give atlest 50 fps(Sweden)) and the sound pickup are not as great.

The Zoom and image stability is a lot better on the Canon HF200.

Its possible that the videos is choppy from both devices becouse of my computer. Im sure that my computer have enouth power but I suspect there is a missmatch in frequencies or something like that.

In daylight Im sure that the picture quality are much the same but maybe the Canon will give a better flow?

I also compared the Sony RX100 against the Fujifilm F100fd and there is a BIG diffrence. The RX100 gives a lot better quality and sharpness, there is usually so low noise but you will not notice it if you are not searching.

I have been trying to replace the Fujifilm for some time, for example I have compared it with Nikon D60 or Pentax k-m (default settings and in the box lenses) and the Fujifilm was never that far far behind that I would trade the size. I also compared a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 a couple of month ago and even if it was a bit better the size and the price did not make it worth. I was never impressed with the photos that any of these comeras produced.

The Sony RX100 do however outperforme the Fujifilm with big margins and are still a compact camera. I would expect it to also perform better then the other bigger cameras that I have compared to Fujifilm. Yes I do understand that lenses makes a big diffrence but I was never interested in buying diffrent linses(that would also be more expensive and more complicated).

So it does looks like the Sony RX100 could be a vary good replacement for both the Canon HF200 and the Fujifilm F100fd.

Thread Information