Quantcast S95 upgrade to entry level DSLR or Sony NEX3n?

+ Reply to Thread

Default S95 upgrade to entry level DSLR or Sony NEX3n?

Hi
    I currently own a canon s95 and am interested in upgrading to a camera with higher quality photos. Compactness isn't a huge deal and I was looking at either the Nikon D3100 or the Sony nex3n with a primary lens but have started to wonder whether those cameras will provide any substantial upgrade in photo quality over the s95 or would I need to goto a higher end model? My primary use is family photos/amateur level.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: S95 upgrade to entry level DSLR or Sony NEX3n?

Yes, image quality will be better with the D3100 and NEX 3n largely because of sensor size - 7.44 x 5.58 mm for the S95 compared to 23.1 x 15.4 mm for the D3100 and 23.5 x 15.6 mm for the NEX 3n. But the difference in image quality might not be apparent under most shooting conditions.

Here are sample images. All three cameras take good looking pictures but the improved image quality of the D3100 and NEX 3n is sometimes hard to see.
    S95
    Flickr Search: canon s95

D3100
    Flickr Search: nikon d3100

NEX 3
    Flickr Search: Sony NEX3
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

The image quality will be better for the bigger cameras over the S95 in difficult light. Where the light quality is very good, then you may well not see any improvement. For IQ the next step up from the D3100 would be a full frame DSLR, such as the Canon 6D or Nikon D610. Of course that jump skips over a whole bunch of other DSLR models for both brands, but those designs are more about improving the shooting experience than the image quality.

The only real advantage of the NEX 3N over the D3100 would be the lighter weight. In virtually all other regards the D3100 is a better camera. But if you do want a light weight system, the 3N could be a low cost entry to NEX. On the assumption that there will be an upgrade to a nicer NEX body, such as the 6, sometime off in the future.

The Canon G1-X, 600D, Olympus PL5, PM2, and Panasonic G5 could also provide a nice little improvement over the S95 in poor light.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Here are sample images. All three cameras take good looking pictures but the improved image quality of the D3100 and NEX 3n is sometimes hard to see.
    If it's been processed to hell by a one-armed pirate who doesn't know Photoshop, maybe.

There will be an extremely clear difference in every image.
    "The secret to photography? F/8 and be there." ~ Wilbur Garrett, National Geographic

Thread Information