Quantcast Nikon D3100 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC G3

+ Reply to Thread

Question Nikon D3100 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC G3

Hi,

I'm very new to the DSLR digital photography game, so new in fact that I'm still deciding what camera I should get. I seem to have narrowed it down to these two as they seem to do what I want and I can find them in my price range (around 250). Basically I want a camera for 2 things.

1. I'm a history teacher and I want to make revision videos for my GCSE and A level classes. These will generally involve me sat behind a desk talking at the camera and then editing the videos and putting in pictures and clips etc.

2. General photography. As I say I'm very new to this so I don't need a camera that has all the bells and whistles however I do feel ready to upgrade from a standard digital camera.

As I say I have narrowed my choice down to these two but can't really decide between them. The Lumix has a swivel screen which I think would be very useful for when I am making the videos but it doesn't have a port for plugging in an external microphone. The last thing I want to do is have great vision but then the sound be poor. On the other hand the Nikon has a port for an external microphone but no swivel screen but it is a genuine DSLR.

Has anyone got any suggestions on which of these two cameras would be best suited for my needs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Tim

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Nikon D3100 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC G3

It sounds like you're leaning towards the Nikon D3100. I think that's a good choice considering your need for an external microphone.
    The Lumix G3 is an excellent camera and its image quality is comparable to the D3100 but, for your needs, the Nikon seems more suitable.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information