Quantcast In the market for a camera soon

+ Reply to Thread

Default In the market for a camera soon

Hello all. My first post. i am in the market for a DSLR camera early next year so i thought i start my research now. but not 100% sure where to begin. I currently shoot with a sony a350 with a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. while its not bad, it does left a lot to be desired.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

willing to spend around 500-800 on just body ( of course cheaper the better )

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

size does not matter

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

anything over 15 since my sony is currently 14

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

standard is fine

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

i guess a 10. a lot of pics i take with the sony is very grainy when editing even in raw.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

landscape, cars, portraits.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

no.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

mostly outdoor and want to do night photos as well. my sony does not do any good night pics. it becomes very "Green" if that makes sense

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

sometimes yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

most people advise that i pick canon. but im not biased

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

i believe the canon 6D or 7D as they seem within my price range

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

wide angle and rotating lcd sounds nice

thanks all in advance!

Default Re: In the market for a camera soon

My first DSLR was a Sony A200, so I kind of know where you are coming from. A few random thoughts:

For less noise at very high ISO, Nikon is the leader. For ISOs up to around 800, not much difference though.

Your defining requirement might be "portraits". Those who shot portraits a lot often fall into certain camera habits. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as this frees them to concentrate on getting just the right expression, lighting, pose, etc. In those cases they will want the controls to work one certain way, or have one certain favorite portrait lens, or need one certain wireless flash feature. The landscape and cars requirements can be met by any DSLR.

If you are not making big prints, then you don't really need even 15Mp.

As you are shooting RAW, the "green" issue at night puzzles me. If you mean night shots have a green tint, that is most often due to fluorescent lights. And that will be true for all cameras. The way to fix this is adjusting color channels in post processing. But that is a common part of RAW processing. So I am left confused on this green issue.

I'm quite happy with my Canon, but each of the other brands do have some advantages.

Amazon currently lists used Canon 6D bodies as over $1300 USD, nowhere near your $800 bracket. A 7D body could squeeze in here. But the 7D is mainly about high buffer speeds for sports shooters. If very high speed continuous shooting is not a top priority for you, then a 60D will do about as well for less $$.

For a UWA lens I use the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 with my 50D. Sigma makes this lens for other APS-C mounts too, not just Canon. However it is easier to find on for sale for Canon or Nikon. Many stores do not bother with lenses for Fuji, Pentax, Sony.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    My first DSLR was a Sony A200, so I kind of know where you are coming from. A few random thoughts:

For less noise at very high ISO, Nikon is the leader. For ISOs up to around 800, not much difference though.

Your defining requirement might be "portraits". Those who shot portraits a lot often fall into certain camera habits. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as this frees them to concentrate on getting just the right expression, lighting, pose, etc. In those cases they will want the controls to work one certain way, or have one certain favorite portrait lens, or need one certain wireless flash feature. The landscape and cars requirements can be met by any DSLR.

If you are not making big prints, then you don't really need even 15Mp.

As you are shooting RAW, the "green" issue at night puzzles me. If you mean night shots have a green tint, that is most often due to fluorescent lights. And that will be true for all cameras. The way to fix this is adjusting color channels in post processing. But that is a common part of RAW processing. So I am left confused on this green issue.

I'm quite happy with my Canon, but each of the other brands do have some advantages.

Amazon currently lists used Canon 6D bodies as over $1300 USD, nowhere near your $800 bracket. A 7D body could squeeze in here. But the 7D is mainly about high buffer speeds for sports shooters. If very high speed continuous shooting is not a top priority for you, then a 60D will do about as well for less $$.

For a UWA lens I use the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 with my 50D. Sigma makes this lens for other APS-C mounts too, not just Canon. However it is easier to find on for sale for Canon or Nikon. Many stores do not bother with lenses for Fuji, Pentax, Sony.

Kelly Cook
    thanks for the reply. i meant to say 60D, not 6D.

as for the green, the "blacks" look a bit green to me when shooting at night. i know about the bulbs that give off the green effects and have corrected it with light room 5. ill see if i can dig up a pic with the green tint im talking about

a lot of people are recommending me the 60D. it seems like a top choice right now. at a good price too. body only is 700 new and used is as low as 479.

printing out pictures is not a priority as i dont do it, but i may if i ever find a nice picture

Super Moderator/Reviewer

DSLR's come in different classes, depending on price. Other than those with full frame sensors (very expensive) they all have APS-C CMOS sensors, which will do better in low light than your Sony a350 (an APS-C CCD sensor).
    For a price of $500 to $800 for the body you can afford several very good DSLR's. The top three are probably the Nikon D5200, Canon T5i and Pentax K-50. All three are considered "compact" DSLR's. You could also probably find a good deal on the Pentax K-5 II, an excellent mid-size DSLR, Canon recently released the EOS 70D, a mid-sized DSLR which has received very good reviews, but it's priced above your price range.

Here are reviews by this website of the cameras I mentioned:
    Nikon D5200 (4 stars)
    Nikon D5200 Review

Canon T5i (4 stars)
    Canon Rebel T5i Review

Pentax K-50 (4 stars)
    Pentax K-50 Review

Pentax K-5 II (4 1/2 stars)
    Pentax K-5II Review: A Praiseworthy Challenger

Canon 70D (4 1/2 stars)
    Canon EOS 70D Review: Video Rock Star
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

With RAW and Lightroom, blacks should be simply black. Is your monitor color calibrated? This makes a real difference. You can find calibration units for a little under $100.

Kelly

Thread Information