Quantcast HELP! Need a good camera for kids, pets, vacations!

+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP! Need a good camera for kids, pets, vacations!

I need help deciding on a camera! The camera I currently have ( I have had several over the last two years bc I have not been happy) is the sony nex-5 that I let some kid at the store talk me into! The things i DON'T like about it is having to carry around lenses, the lack of a decent zoom without an extra lens, severe lag in taking the picture after pressing the button , the auto flash doesnt seem to actually know when to work and I keep getting error msgs about not "accepting the accessory" which i think might be the battery pack that came with it and "can not read memory card press ok to format" which we all know caused me to loose my pictures when i daughter was just trying to clear the screen really fast and hit ok. I have sense gotten that msg 5 times. One thing i DO like about the sony is the way it focuses on one part of the picture and automatically blurs the edges! I know absolutely nothing about all of the manual settings I shoot mostly in auto and enjoy playing around with some of the scene modes and special effects. we are going on a cruise in 5 weeks and I don't want to be fighting with my sony the whole time! I have read review after review but honestly I don't understand the photography lingo enough to know what they are talking about! I just want crisp, clear pictures quickly!

some key info:
    budget: i would like to stay under $500 but will pay up to $1000 if its worth it!
    uses: family, kids, pets, vacation, landscape,
    needs: NO LAG! my kids are little and don't sit still it needs to be fast! a decent zoom, easy to use and learn the features, auto focus
    brands: not picky really, I did like my canon I had a long time ago. I wont buy another sony
    size: I don't really like the super small ones, they seem like they are hard to hold onto. I like a little more bulk so i dont feel like i am going to drop it. but i dont want to have to carry around a bunch of accesories

I think that's it. So please make some suggestions for me! Thanks so much!!!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: HELP! Need a good camera for kids, pets, vacations!

For what you want I don't see any camera in the 500 to 1000 dollar range meeting your needs. Most have interchangeable lenses and the few with built-in long zoom lenses are large,heavy ultrazooms that are somewhat intimidating.

If you don't mind something that's a bit too large for the pocket, though still relatively small and lightweight, I really like the Canon SX510 HS. Its image quality isn't as good as the NEX 5 you currently own, especially in low light without a flash, but it's very good for most purposes. It has built-in Wifi for sharing your photos and automatically transferring them to your PC. It has a nice, ergonomic body with a prominent grip, fast operation and a huge 30x zoom lens. It has manual control options but operates very well on full auto mode. Its price is very reasonable, much less than what you're willing to spend, but I think it would be ideal for your purposes.

Here are some sample images:
    Flickr Search: canon sx510

Here are sample images of the earlier version of the SX510, the SX500:
    Flickr Search: canon sx500
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 01-11-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Hi amaretta1103 ,

Sounds like the issue with your camera could be the lens censors or pins that connects to the camera body - might need a light wipe or there is something else going on with it I suggest to take it in with you when you go and purchase a new camera. I think it's smart you are not taking your Sony - not because it will frustrate you but because if you go to sandy or humid destinations you could very well break the camera - lots of people get sand in their lenses accidentally. I highly suggest working with a non commissioned sales person. Try to take a look at "Bridge Cameras" such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 or anything in Panasonic or similar. Their lenses are sharp, great zoom and quality. The main reason I suggest it is because the action fast/sport mode does not delay the shutter and you can still have all the function as a SLR.

Hope you found this helpful! Good Luck!
    www.kaylenenewsom.com

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Panasonic FZ70 is an excellent camera. I own the earlier version and it's always reliably done what I needed it to do. The newer version has a fantastic 60x zoom and a CMOS sensor for better low light shots. The Canon SX510 HS "only" has a 30x zoom and it also has the CMOS sensor. The big difference between the two is that the Canon is smaller and lighter in weight. If a larger, heavier camera is OK with you, I certainly go along with the recommendation of the Panasonic FZ70, as well as the larger Canon ultrazoom, the SX50 HS.with 50x zoom.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information