Quantcast Point and shoot with Infinity Focus?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Point and shoot with Infinity Focus?

I love to photograph aircraft with my point and shoot camera. Half the time, the camera is unable to properly focus, as the plane is far away and the autofocus cannot handle this. It can't focus on a clear blue sky. Are there any point and shoot cameras out there with a manual setting for Infinity? It would also have to have at least an 18X zoom as well. I know I really need an expensive SLR which has an Infinity/Manual setting but since I bring my camera to places like the beach, I know that water and sand will enter the mechanism. In the past, I have ruined many cameras after getting water droplets and/or sand inside. Any suggestions about my focusing problem other than an SLR? Thanks.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Point and shoot with Infinity Focus?

There are many point and shoot cameras that have a manual focus option. But if you add the requirement of weather sealing you're limited to a few. And if you further add the requirement of at least 18x optical zoom you're limited to one - the Fuji S1. The S1 has the size and shape of a DSLR and should be an excellent superzoom (50x optical zoom) but it's not scheduled to be released until March. If you want something other than the S1 you'll have to modify your search criteria.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks. I would forego the weatherproofing. I require a 20X optical zoom to capture aircraft in flight. Most important, it must be a point-and-shoot as the DSLRs are just too bulky. I am awayre the DSLRs all have manual infinity settings on the lens. . For some reason, I can't find any point-and-shoots with the manual focus feature. Do you know of any brands with my requirements. I must have an infinity lock as the autofocus has difficulty focusing on flying aircraft against a clear blue sky; I usually get a blur.

Super Moderator

Point and shoots are geared towards those who like to use auto rather than manual functions, including focus mode. While many more advanced point and shoots have a manual focus option, for most of them, using manual focus is not convenient to use and requires accessing the menu. There are a few point and shoots that have a manual focus ring, similar to that found in the lenses used in DSLR's, and are very good for manually focusing. The Canon S100/S110/S120 are excellent small cameras with a lens barrel ring that can be programmed to control manual focus, but they only have a 5x optical zoom. The Sony HX300, Fuji HS35EXR and Fuji HS50EXR are superzooms that have a focus ring. The HX300 has a 50x optical zoom, the HS50 has 42x and the HS35 has 30x. They aren't small cameras, though, and weigh as much as a DSLR.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The new mirrorless type cameras have lenses very similar to DSLR. While being lighter weight than DSLR. However, they will not reach quite as far as you require. This difference in reach could easily be made up by cropping the images with a photo editor. If you are not adverse to using photo editors.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information