Quantcast Looking for help picking out my next camera -- Questionnaire filled out.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy Stanton
  • 1 Post By KCook
  • 1 Post By Andy Stanton

Thread: Looking for help picking out my next camera -- Questionnaire filled out.

Question Looking for help picking out my next camera -- Questionnaire filled out.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. I'm looking to spend no more than $400-$500

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? I like small, but not too concerned with size

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? I'll let you guys decide, once I get to explain what I use it for

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) not sure

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) I would say between 7-10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? whatever works best for what i use the camera for

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? ** I will mainly be using the camera to take photos of items I sell on eBay. I also use my camera to try and take CLEAR shots of my Bengal cat when she is in action, for example, in mid air. My main problem with the camera I have now ( Samsung WB150F ) is that when I click to take the photo, by the time it takes the photo, she is already on the ground, lol. Is there such a thing as an IMMEDIATE snapshot ?

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? maybe once in a great while, not too often

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes, cat action

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Panasonic Lumix DCM-GM1 <~~~ I love the look of this camera. I know it is above the price range I gave, but I am not in a huge rush for a camera so if I have to save up, I will. I do not know anything about DSLR, except that they have the bigger, removable lens. Can someone who knows about cameras tell me why this particular Panasonic is so expensive ? It seems to be a lot more money than the cameras that "look more professional" with the big lenses. I don't care too much on the brand, but I feel like Nikon or Cannon is the best. Who knows. Before seeing this Panasonic, I probably would not have even looked at Panasonic. Please let me know your thoughts.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) not sure

Super Moderator

Default Re: Looking for help picking out my next camera -- Questionnaire filled out.

The Samsung WB150F is a decent camera but it's not quick focusing, its shot-to-shot times are somewhat slow and its low light ability is mediocre. There are many cameras on the market that are much better in all those areas. The Panasonic GM1 is excellent in all the areas the WB150F has problems with but it's a different type of camera in several respects, mainly in that it uses interchangeable lenses instead of one all-purpose lens. So if you're going to be in situations where you need more zoom than the 2.6x zoom lens that comes with the camera, you'll have to buy an additional lens.

However there are many cameras that are much less expensive than the GM1 that aren't as good but are still much better than your Samsung WB150F and would probably meet your needs well. For instance the Canon Powershot SX280 HS, which you can find for about $200 online, is faster than your Samsung in focusing and shot-to-shot time and has much better low light images. It also has a built-in GPS and WiFi capability (for easily transferring photos to the internet or to your computer). It has a 20x zoom lens and good auto controls. I think it has excellent image quality for a camera in its class. Its battery life isn''t great but you can improve it by turning off the GPS..
    Here's a review by this website and some sample images:

Canon Powershot SX280 HS Review

Flickr Search: canon sx280
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Looking for help picking out my next camera -- Questionnaire filled out.

There are manual focus techniques that will let you try to catch a cat in mid-flight. These techniques (pre focus) will not work 100% of the time, but still give far better results than any compact auto focus. Of course this requires a camera with a manual focus option. Dunno whether the WB150F features manual focus or not.

To catch that kind of action with auto focus you will need a DSLR, and a fairly good one at that. There are good prices on the old Canon EOS 60D now, you might consider one of those. Of course prices on a used or refurbished camera will be better than for a new one.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thank you for the replies ! I will check out the suggestions. I think I need to do more research also about photography / cameras in general. I have the Samsung WB150F now only because I thought the lens looked like I would get better quality, and the fact that I was on a Samsung kick last year. I don't even use the wi-fi. I think because there are so many types of cameras out there that I just get overwhelmed. I do want my next purchase to be something better suited for what I use it for, and something I will be happy with. Now, with the fact that I say I don't use the Wi-fi, is this Canon SX280 still the one you would recommend ? And last question..... Are there any cameras that are point & shoot that also have a manual focus ? And this is for sure the last question..... Does "DSLR" mean that it's a camera with a removable lens ? Sorry if I am annoying, I am just trying to make sure my next camera is something I love.

~Ronnie

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grinogirl View Post
    Now, with the fact that I say I don't use the Wi-fi, is this Canon SX280 still the one you would recommend ?
    Yes, I still recommend it if what you want is a fast point and shoot camera with a built-in long zoom lens, very good image quality and movie quality, good in low light and manual control options. It's one of the top cameras in its class along with the Sony HX50v and the Panasonic ZS30, both of which are much more expensive.

And last question..... Are there any cameras that are point & shoot that also have a manual focus ?
    Yes, many, including the Canon SX280 and the Sony HX50v.

And this is for sure the last question..... Does "DSLR" mean that it's a camera with a removable lens ? Sorry if I am annoying, I am just trying to make sure my next camera is something I love.
    A DSLR refers to a camera that has removable/interchangeable lenses and also has a large sensor for better image quality, a host of manual controls and a DSLR shape, which is large with a prominent right-hand grip. A new class of camera with interchangeable lenses has arisen over the past 5-6 years - small cameras with large sensors that look more like point and shoots than DSLR's but that have image quality similar to that of a DSLR.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thank you Andy !

I went to Best Buy and got the Canon SX280 HS and OMG I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!! Wow, what a difference in a camera compared to that Samsung WB150F !!! It was quiet in the store so I had the camera guy's full attention. What a camera, I am SO happy I came here and asking for opnions !! I've got a new "toy" so i'll be playing around with that. I don't think my other camera had the continuous shot like this one, LOVE IT !!! Thank you again, I really appreciate your help !!

Super Moderator

Great! I'm glad you love your new camera and that it does what you want. Happy to help.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information