Quantcast New camera advice

+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up New camera advice

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a compact multipurpose camera with the features listed below. I have listed the ones I am looking at.
    Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Around $ 500 - $700.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 12-16

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) ultra lense

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Want auto

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Holidays ,kids, animals general family camera.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Some

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? No

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? I have always had canon.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
    Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2
    Canon EOS M Camera Twin Lens Kit

They all come with twin lens kits and are a good price of 600-700.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    I would like wi fi.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: New camera advice

Of the cameras you've listed I lean towards the Panasonic GF6 for two reasons. One is that it's the only one of the three with a built-in flash and two it's the only one with built-in wireless and NFC, which make for easy transferring of photos.

All three are compact, take excellent pictures, accept many different lenses, and are quick performers. The Canon and Olympus also have a hotshoe, for attaching an external flash and the Olympus can be fitted with an optional viewfinder (though it makes the camera bulky).

Since image quality is of primary importance you may want to consider one of the small, interchangeable lens cameras with a DSLR-like APS-C sensor, such as the Sony NEX 3n or the Fuji X-A1. Of the two the Fuji X-A1 is better equipped with built-in WiFi and a hot-shoe, both of which are lacking in the NEX 3n.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 02-14-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: New camera advice

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 - Easy to use, with a nice lens. Unfortunately it lacks a hotshoe for accessories.

Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2 - Designed for auto operation, stronger default color than Panasonic. But the flash unit is an add-on (included with the body), not a built-in popup. Just by itself, not a super pick, but it is a low cost entrée to the Olympus "system". In case you might later want to upgrade to the superb OM-D series of SLR-like cameras.

Canon EOS M Camera Twin Lens Kit - Arguably the top IQ in this list. With an expensive adapter it can use the Canon EF-S family of lenses, which can deliver more bang-for-the-buck than Micro4/3 lenses. Unfortunately the list of native mount lenses is almost non-existent, and the future of this format in Canon corporate thinking is not clear. If you hanker for Canon lenses, the new SL1 or T5 are better choices.

The whole issue of IQ is kind of a ball of string, often gets unraveled. Folks who are NOT going to be making big prints are usually really interested in accurate metering and color. Neither of which demands a large sensor. From this simple perspective Canons really excel for daylight photography, not so strong indoors. Olympus stands this on its head, they are strong indoors, so long as you use the flash. Panasonics are not so predictable, except for their colors usually being a little muted.

So each is a decent choice, in my view there is no knock-out winner here.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information