Quantcast Replacement for the Sony DSC-H5

+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement for the Sony DSC-H5

I have old SONY CYBER SHOT MODEL DSC-H5...what current SONY product would be a replacement for it....grannykaren

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Replacement for the Sony DSC-H5

The Sony DSC-H5 is a DSLR-like superzoom that was released in 2006. It had a 12x optical zoom and received very good reviews at the time.

Sony is still making superzooms today at various price points. The WX300 is a small, pocket size camera with 20x optical zoom. The HX50v is larger, but still pocket sized, and has 30x optical zoom (it's quite expensive). Sony's DSLR-like superzooms are the HX200v with 30x zoom and HX400v with 50x zoom, as well as a less expensive line consisting of the H200 with 26x optical zoom, the H300 with 35x optical zoom and the H400 with 63x optical zoom. The other camera manufacturers also make long zoom cameras.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

thanx andy...I have narrowed it down to the HX50V and HX400V...btw the HX50V is less $ on the Sony website currently?....anyway which of these two would you recommend...I like everything about my old DSC-H5 except that it has become impossible to keep the batteries charged...loses power sooooo fast despite being fully charged or brand new.... (had it rebuilt by Sony even...but no real improvement) otherwise it dioes what I want ...but it is time for new...I purchased a Nikon COOLPIX p90 few years ago and it is worthless as far as what I wanted from it!...so....back to Sony for me....appreciate your info...I am 100% ignorant but can take a good pic with my SONY...but I'm tired of the battery issue.
    grannykaren

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The two cameras have the same sensor and processor so their image quality is very similar. However the HX50v is 1/2 the size of the HX400v and does not have an electronic viewfinder like the HX400v (though you can purchase one that inserts into the hot shoe). They both have built-in WiFi and a GPS. The HX400v has much more optical zoom, 50x vs 30x for the HX50v. As far as battery life is concerned they appear to use the same battery, the BX1, and the larger HX400v has significantly shorter battery life than the HX50v.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

OK...I do not know what an electronic viewfinder is...nor what it is used for...it is a third? viewfinder?..do I have an electronic viewfinder on my DSC-H5? I thought there were only two .... a viewfinder to look through with eye like cameras of old ...and the LED viewfinder on back of camera.....Is the LED viewfinder also called an electronic viewfinder?....Is an electronic viewfinder more 'professional' item than I need...? I'm NOT a professional. All I know is that I want at least what I currently have with added zoom and pix....? ....does that make sense?
    I feel like I am getting closer to making this decision with your help!
    thanx !

Super Moderator/Reviewer

An electronic viewfinder is a small LCD that you can use to frame your pictures instead of the large LCD at the back of the camera. You have an electronic viewfinder in your H5.

If you want something similar to your H5, stick with the HX400v (or the similar HX300), or one of the less expensive Sony superzooms (which do not have viewfinders, are a bit slower than the HX models and are less proficient in low light but are still decent cameras), the Sony H400, H300 or the older H200.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 02-21-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

In looking at the comparison info on SONY site between the HX4OOv and HX300... 'SOFTWARE' is talked about for the HX400v but nothing about 'SOFTWARE' with regard to the HX300....I have MAC OS that is required as stated in the 'software' info fpr HX400v.....not sure what this 'software' is all about....
    ....another question...I have a SONY CLOSE UP LENS VCL-M3358 for my H5 ...will it be of any use/compatable with HX400?..or should I just include it with my H5 when I sell it?
    I cannot tell you how much help you have been ....truly !
    k

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by karenltd View Post
    In looking at the comparison info on SONY site between the HX4OOv and HX300... 'SOFTWARE' is talked about for the HX400v but nothing about 'SOFTWARE' with regard to the HX300....I have MAC OS that is required as stated in the 'software' info fpr HX400v.....not sure what this 'software' is all about....
    Sony cameras come with photo arranging and editing software called PlayMemories Home. It's not necessary to load this software as your Mac comes with photo arranging and editing software built-in (as do Windows PC's).
    ....another question...I have a SONY CLOSE UP LENS VCL-M3358 for my H5 ...will it be of any use/compatable with HX400?..or should I just include it with my H5 when I sell it?k
    It's probably compatible. The HX300 has a threaded lens so you can attach filters and lightweight lenses. You might need an adapter ring as I believe the M3358 is 58mm and the HX300 is 55mm. The question is, though, why do you want a closeup lens? The HX300 can focus as close as 1cm and, if you prefer a farther away macro shot, you have 50x of optical zoom to use. Here are some nice macro shots taken with the HX300:

Flickr Search: sony hx300 macro
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

THANK YOU!..love the pics....I was thinking maybe the close-up lens was non issue considering the power of new camera....
    k

Thread Information