Quantcast A beginner buying a new camera.

+ Reply to Thread

Default A beginner buying a new camera.

I'm considering buying a camera, but I'm having trouble deciding on which to buy. I have a budget of about 500 dollars for the camera and basic accessories. I'm also trying to decide on whether it would be worth buying a used camera.

The Nikon d3200 catches my eye; should I wait a month or so for the price to drop with the release of the d3300?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: A beginner buying a new camera.

The main reason people want a DSLR, like the Nikon D3200, is its superior image quality due to its large sensor. Many people also like the DSLR's ability to use interchangeable lenses.

There are several DSLR's available in the $500 price range. The Nikon D3200 is good, as are DSLR's from Canon (the T3 and SL1), Sony (the A3000 - very inexpensive but good, and the SLT A58), Pentax (K-500) and Panasonic (G5)

There are also many small, pocket-sized cameras with large sensors and interchangeable lens ability that you can buy for less than $500. Many photographers find them preferable to the larger DSLR's. Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung make the most popular models.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The main reason people want a DSLR, like the Nikon D3200, is its superior image quality due to its large sensor. Many people also like the DSLR's ability to use interchangeable lenses.

There are several DSLR's available in the $500 price range. The Nikon D3200 is good, as are DSLR's from Canon (the T3 and SL1), Sony (the A3000 - very inexpensive but good, and the SLT A58), Pentax (K-500) and Panasonic (G5)

There are also many small, pocket-sized cameras with large sensors and interchangeable lens ability that you can buy for less than $500. Many photographers find them preferable to the larger DSLR's. Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung make the most popular models.
    The main reasons I want a DSLR is for night shots and for low light shots.I live in a gradual recess with a city at the bottom which makes for spectacular skyline views at night. Are there any lower priced point and shoot or bridge cameras up to that task?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichal View Post
    The main reasons I want a DSLR is for night shots and for low light shots.I live in a gradual recess with a city at the bottom which makes for spectacular skyline views at night. Are there any lower priced point and shoot or bridge cameras up to that task?
    If price is an issue, the Canon T3 and Sony A3000 are good DSLR's that are currently selling for less than $300 (new with a 3x zoom lens).

Most small, large-sensor interchangeable lens cameras will do just as well in low light as the low priced DSLR's. Prices are similar to the low priced DSLR's. Olympus makes the E-PM and E-PL series, Panasonic the GF series, Nikon the 1J3, Fuji the X-A1, Sony the NEX series and Samsung the NX series.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Are there any lower priced point and shoot or bridge cameras up to that task?
    DSLR's and the small, large sensor interchangeable lens cameras are much better in low light and at night.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

If you want to just shoot the lights for the city. That does not require anything special, lights are bright. Where a low light camera is needed is for shooting the buildings and people at night, not just the lights.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information