Quantcast Responses to questionnaire: What camera should I buy? With answers this time! Sorry for last mess up!

+ Reply to Thread

Default Responses to questionnaire: What camera should I buy? With answers this time! Sorry for last mess up!

I would like advice in selecting a second camera as a backup for when I do not have my DSLR with me or simply am in a situation where bringing it along is not feasible. I love the quality I am getting from by DSLR and image quality trumps portability for me in most cases. I am overwhelmed with the vast choices available with both mirrorless and high end compacts now as compared to just a few years back. Budget for this camera is under $1100 give or take a few. I also would like decent range to accommodate most situations; 28-200mm would be ideal. Anything wider or longer would be a bonus but not critical. am wondering whether I will get better images from a mirrorless with the APS-C sensor and basic lenses that are available staying within my budget or a high end compact that has a better F stop but smaller sensor. Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Default Responses to questionnaire: What camera should I buy? With answers this time! Sorry for last mess up!

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Roughly $1200 max. Anything less is nice.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Currently have D7000 DSLR- need something smaller for hiking, travel, etc. Does not need to fit in a back pocket- but would like something lighter and smaller than my DSLR

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 12-16

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) standard- ultra. 28-200 would be great but not necessary if standard is better quality camera

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? family portraits, landscape, travel

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? occasionally. Will most likely take my DSLR for those events

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? open to suggestions

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) wide angle, image stabilization and weatherproof all nice features. If not weatherproof- would be great if an underwater housing available to purchase separately.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Responses to questionnaire: What camera should I buy? With answers this time! Sorry for last mess up!

Mirrorless will give you better image quality but a high-end point and shoot is smaller and has only one lens.

For a zoom range of 28-200 you have limited choices in the point and shoot category - the Olympus Stylus 1, Nikon P7800 and the Panasonic LF1. All are very good with the Stylus 1 probably the best of the three. Here's this website's review of the Stylus 1: Olympus Stylus 1 Review Another long zoom point and shoot possibility is the Sony RX10, which has better image quality than any of the three point and shoots I mentioned but is much larger and heavier.

If a shorter zoom is OK with you, the best image quality on any point and shoot belongs to the Sony RX100 II, with 3.6 optical zoom. Here's this website's review of the earlier model, the RX100: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 Review: Simply Amazing

If you buy a mirrorless you'll have many different possibilities from all the major camera manufacturers. All are very good and all have the capability of using different types of lenses, including pancake, short zoom and long zoom. No one camera stands out. Sony, Samsung and Fuji cameras have the large APS-C sensor and have slightly better image quality than the 4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic but are not better in overall quality. Nikon mirrorless cameras are very compact and have slightly smaller sensors than the 4/3 cameras, but still have very good image quality.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Responses to questionnaire: What camera should I buy? With answers this time! Sorry for last mess up!

For bulk and weight, all mirrorless weigh roughly the same, weight advantage to the advanced compacts. Bulk does vary more. Example, a Canon S-200 can work as a pocket carry, at the other end of the scale a Panasonic GH3 is nearly as big as the Canon SL1 DSLR. If it is bulk that is key for you, the new power zoom kit lens for Olympus and Panasonic M4/3 cameras really cuts down on the depth of the package (when retracted). So expect to spend some time at a store, if you can find the camera of interest in a local store. Many of the mirrorless models can be hard to find in stores. As a last resort you can rent mirrorless cameras from outfits like Barrowlenses and Lensrentals. Links for more thoughts -

Need suggestion for upgrading Camera

mirrorless interchangeable vs. prosumer compact

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information