Quantcast Best camera for fell walking

+ Reply to Thread

Default Best camera for fell walking

Hi

I am new to digital cameras but have been doing some research in an attempt to get a new camera which I suspect I will use mostly for fell walking and landscapes. Most of the photos I have taken so far have not been good as I have used a basic digital camera so I am looking for a camera that can zoom in or take wide landscapes, is good in low light and is small enough to use when hiking.

I have looked at the Panasonic TZ60, the Sony HX60 and the Nikon s9700 and I getting totally confused as to which one to go for. Even the sony hx50 looks good and to be honest I can't see much difference between the hx50 or 60??

Does anyone have any advice for me???

thanks

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Best camera for fell walking

Is there any reason you need the very long 30x zoom of the TZ60, HX60 (and HX50) and S9700? If you don't need an ultra long zoom lens you may be better off with a small, large-sensor compact that will give you improved image quality, especially in low light.

The Panasonic LF1 has a 7x zoom lens, excellent image quality and a small electronic viewfinder. The Panasonic LX7 has only a 4x optical zoom but also has great image quality and a flash hotshoe. The Canon S120 (and S110) has a 5x optical zoom and excellent image quality. There's also the very fine Nikon P330 with a 5x optical zoom. All these cameras are small and have better image quality than the 30x zoom point and shoots you're currently considering.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I agree with Andy, 30X zoom makes little sense for landscape work (unless you want a sunset with a huge solar disk). In addition to the advanced compacts he listed, about the same budget can also get you an older model mirrorless camera. These have nice interchangeable lenses and will shoot RAW images in addition to JPG.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Hi

thanks for the responses. I am a novice and thought I would need a good camera with a good optical zoom and one that allows press and shoot rather than one with a changeable lens. If an optical lens is not key, what is the most important thing I am looking for please. It has to be a smallish camera as I don't fancy scrambling up rocks carrying an oversize camera

many thanks

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by jontygee View Post
    Hi

thanks for the responses. I am a novice and thought I would need a good camera with a good optical zoom and one that allows press and shoot rather than one with a changeable lens. If an optical lens is not key, what is the most important thing I am looking for please. It has to be a smallish camera as I don't fancy scrambling up rocks carrying an oversize camera

many thanks
    There are several different varieties of small, pocket sized cameras out there. Most of them are point and shoots, which means they have only one lens and are relatively simple to operate.

1- You have inexpensive point and shoots with short to moderate zoom (4x to 10x). They are variable in quality. I own two of them, a Canon Elph, which is excellent, and a small Olympus, which is only fair.

2- Then you have moderate to expensive point and shoots with a long zoom lens (more than 10x zoom). These are also variable in quality. The best are probably the Sony HX50v, the Sony WX300, the Canon SX280 and the Panasonic ZS40. I also like the new Samsung WB350f that was recently reviewed by this website.

3- There are also the small, large sensor point and shoots. These are among the best point and shoots you can buy because their large sensors provide improved image quality. They are also in the moderate to expensive range. While they don't have long zoom lenses (this would make the cameras larger and heavier) they have decent zoom ranges (5x-7x). As I mentioned in a previous post, some excellent ones are the Panasonic LF1, the Canon S120 (and the older S110) and the Nikon P330.

4- Finally you have small, interchangeable lens cameras (not point and shoots). Their sensors are much larger than those of even the large sensor point and shoots so they have even better image quality. They are also priced in the moderate to expensive range. They give you the most bang for your buck provided you're OK with using interchangeable lenses. All are very good. Some of the most popular ones are the Olympus e-pm and e-pl series, the Panasonic GF and GM series, the Sony NEX series, the Nikon 1 series and the Fuji X series.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Visit a good camera store, they should be able to show you these different size cameras. Regardless of size all of these cameras have "scene" settings you can pick to get the best result. For 4x6 snapshots and E-mail even the smallest cameras will be fine. It's when you want big prints, or creating an online gallery, or shooting in difficult light that the cameras with bigger sensors work better. And if/when your skills progress beyond just picking a scene, the more advanced controls for the bigger cameras will be nicer to work with. So, in a sense, the bigger camera is more "future proof". But if you want to start with a simple auto shooter, have no problem replacing it later with a better camera, then the auto shooter will certainly get the job done for now.

Kelly
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information