Quantcast Help Buying camera for sports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Buying camera for sports

I am looking for a camera for indoor and outdoor soccer and indoor basketball. I am looking for something that is not a dslr

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. hopefully below $700

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Does not mater

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? I guess 18

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Ultrazoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Sorry don't know what that is.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Sports (soccer indoor and outdoor and for family outings

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? NO

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? YES

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? YES

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? HOPING NOT FUJI HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE LAST ONE

Are there particular models you already have in mind? no

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Wide angle, Image Stabilization, I don't think waterproof but will be taking pictures at the beach. Rapid pictures. Video. Electric view finder.

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Help Buying camera for sports

The top ultrazooms at the present time, excluding Fuji, are probably the Canon SX50 hs, the Sony HX300, the Nikon P520, the Panasonic FZ70 and the Panasonic FZ200. The FZ70 has the longest optical zoom, at 60x, while the FZ200 has the shortest zoom at 24x. However the FZ200 is probably the best overall because of its speed of operation and constant F2.8 aperture, which enables you to take better low light shots. All five are very good ultrazooms. Here are some sample images:
    SX50 hs
    Flickr Search: canon sx50

HX300
    Flickr Search: sony hx300

Nikon P520
    Flickr Search: nikon p520

FZ70
    Flickr Search: panasonic fz70

FZ200
    Flickr Search: panasonic fz200
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Here's some additional information about the five cameras I mentioned that you may want to consider:
    Canon SX50 hs - mediocre battery life, fully articulated LCD screen, flash hot-shoe, can shoot RAW format, somewhat slow shot-to-shot time, 50x zoom
    Sony HX300 - good battery life, tilting LCD screen, no flash hot-shoe, 50x zoom
    Nikon P520 - poor battery life, built-in GPS, no flash hot-shoe, somewhat slow focusing and shot-to-shot time, 42x zoom
    Panasonic FZ70 - very good battery life, flash hot-shoe, can shoot RAW format, 60x zoom
    Panasonic FZ200 - excellent battery life, flash hot-shoe, can shoot RAW, very quick focusing and shot-to-shot time, fully articulated LCD screen, 24x zoom
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Andy,

Thank you for the information. If Fuji is a good camera I will try it just had some problems with the one I have now.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Here are a three fine Fuji ultrazooms to consider. The X-S1 is superior overall due to its excellent image quality (because of its large sensor) but it's quite large and heavy and "only" has 26x zoom.
    Fuji X-S1 - large sensor for excellent image quality, speedy performance, flash hot-shoe, RAW shooting, tilting LCD, large and heavy, 26x zoom.
    Fuji hs50exr - speedy performance, flash hot-shoe, RAW shooting, good battery life, fully articulated LCD, 42x zoom.
    Fuji SL1000 - flash hot-shoe, RAW shooting, tilting LCD, 50x zoom

Here are some sample images:
    X-S1
    Flickr Search: fuji x-s1

HR50exr
    Flickr Search: fuji hs50exr

SL1000
    Flickr Search: fuji sl1000
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Help Buying camera for sports UPDATE

Update: I think that I am going to go with a DSLR. I was looking at the Nikon D3300. Is that a good camera for soccer indoor and outdoor? Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by bhandley View Post
    Update: I think that I am going to go with a DSLR. I was looking at the Nikon D3300. Is that a good camera for soccer indoor and outdoor? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, it's excellent, with quick focusing, very good image quality, high quality optical viewfinder (important for long range sport photos). But keep in mind that you'll need a long zoom lens, possibly the Nikon 55-200mm VR or the more expensive Nikon 55-300mm VR.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Andy,

Thanks for the information. When you say I will need a long zoom lens, does the mm of the lens mean how far you zoom in from the place you are taking the picture? Sorry don't know much about cameras. Do u suggest any other cameras that are comparable? Also would I be able to use it at the beach. Old camera took foggy looking pictures. Thanks again.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by bhandley View Post
    Andy,

Thanks for the information. When you say I will need a long zoom lens, does the mm of the lens mean how far you zoom in from the place you are taking the picture?
    Yes. The standard lens that comes with the D3300 is an 18-55mm lens, which, in point and shoot terms, is equivalent to a zoom lens with a range of from 27mm at wide angle to 82.5 at the telephoto end, or approximately a 3x zoom. If you need a long range shot you can change lenses to a long zoom lens like the 55-200mm, which is equivalent to an 82.5 at wide angle to 300mm at telephoto. Point and shoot cameras with a 300mm telephoto have about a 12x optical zoom. If you change to a 55-300mm, you will get 450mm at the telephoto end, which in a point and shoot camera is about an 18x optical zoom.

Sorry don't know much about cameras. Do u suggest any other cameras that are comparable?
    The Canon Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) is roughly equivalent to the D3300, but it's smaller with shorter battery life.

Also would I be able to use it at the beach. Old camera took foggy looking pictures. Thanks again
    Yes, both cameras will take great looking pictures at the beach but don't use them on a windy day. Blowing sand can get into your camera and damage the lens and other parts of the camera.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Andy,

Thanks for all the information. I have not purchased a camera yet. Just want to make sure I get the right camera for my needs. I was wondering how are compact system cameras for indoor and outdoor sports.

Thanks again for the information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information