Quantcast Which lens(es) should I get for a Sony NEX-3NL/B?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Which lens(es) should I get for a Sony NEX-3NL/B?

I was looking at buying a Sony NEX-3NL/B Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera to use for macro photography. I'm fairly new to photography and have spent all day researching it. I don't have much money to spend since my only income is from holidays and the camera itself is $300, which macro lenses will work with this camera for $150 or less and still have good quality? I know it's hard to find quality in these things unless you buy some $500+ lens. I also like wide angle and fish eye lenses but the macro lens is the most important to me.

I found this kit for the Sony NEX, would this be worth getting? The wide angle lens says "with macro" but I don't know if it truly is macro or not.
    49mm 0 21x Fisheye Lens 0 45X 3 5X 7 Filter More F Sony NEX Digital Cameras | eBay

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Which lens(es) should I get for a Sony NEX-3NL/B?

The lens you're looking at is not a high quality macro lens. For that you need a much longer focal length - over 50mm. Sony's E-mount lenses (compatible with NEX cameras) with such long focal lengths are quite expensive,

For the limited amount of money you have available it makes more sense to either use the lens that comes with the NEX 3 and crop your photos or purchase a high quality point and shoot with good macro functionality, such as the Canon G16, Canon S120, Nikon P7700, Nikon P330 or Panasonic LF1.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The term "macro" is loosely used, we don't know just how small of an object you want to shoot. For cameras with interchangeable lenses, often the standard kit lens plus a cheap extension tube will get the job done. Much cheaper than buying a special lens. Links for more info -

How To: Macro Photography Made Easy

Extension Tubes: Close Up Photography Lesson #2 -

School Of Digital Photography: Macro Photography Using Extension Tubes

A Poor Man's Guide to Budget Macro Photography - Tuts+ Photography Article

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

I have some Gemini lenses that came with a Canon T70. Is it possible to use a K lens to E-mount adapter with a Gemini 1:4.5 80-200mm macro mc zoom 55 lens on a Sony NEX 3nl?

I'm sure these are all dumb questions but it's new to me..kind of

I plan on photographing flowers, plants, bugs, etc. I also tend to take pictures from ground level like a bug's eye view.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalExpire View Post
    I have some Gemini lenses that came with a Canon T70. Is it possible to use a K lens to E-mount adapter with a Gemini 1:4.5 80-200mm macro mc zoom 55 lens on a Sony NEX 3nl?

I'm sure these are all dumb questions but it's new to me..kind of
    Well, this is confusing to me. The old Canon T70 takes FD mount lenses, not K mount. K mount is for Pentax cameras, not Canon. There are adapters for the Sony NEX for just about every old lens mount, including FD and K. An 80-200 can be adapted to macro use, via the usual methods such as extension tubes. However these lenses have a reputation for softness at 200, so you would more likely be using the 80-100 part of the zoom range. Personally I would just use the 18-55 kit zoom instead of a telephoto zoom.

Kelly

Thread Information