Quantcast simple camera

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: simple camera

Default simple camera

Like the title says...I am looking for a super simple camera. No, take that back ..a super simple camera.
    I want a "point and shoot" but there doesn't seem to be any that simple.
    I went to Best Buy and the so called "point and shoot cameras have features like which mode you are going to shoot at. Indoor, party, sports, etc.
    Light or dark situation? Sunny or cloudy.
    What the heck? That is not point and shoot if you have to set the mode and stuff in order to take a picture.
    Remember the old days of "Instamatics" that were "point the camera and push 1 button?
    Aren't there any good cameras like that anymore.
    I do not want any special features. I want point and shoot.
    I am not a photographer and do not want to learn photography. I just need simple pictures I can keep for my memories.
    Sorry for the rant.
    thank you

Super Moderator

Default Re: simple camera

All point and shoot cameras have an auto mode that does everything for you, automatically. The only thing you have to do is control the zoom and press the shutter button.

Don't be put off by all the options because that's what they are - options. You don't have to use them unless you want to.

I'd be glad to recommend a point and shoot for you if you let me know what you want - size, amount of zoom, price, brand (if that's important) and what you intend to use it for most of the time.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Andy
    Thank you for the answer. I kind of thought that but was not really sure.
    I have a entry level type now. It is a Nikon L130
    I have yet to take a decent picture yet. a couple of hundred and none I would even keep.
    I was kind of hoping it was because I am technology challenged (LOL) but I guess there is something wrong with the camera.
    It won't focus sharp for anything. And when zoomed (even when not sometimes) it never stops looking for something to focus on.
    Ex. I'll aim it at something and zoom it in a little. Looking at the screen I can see the picture come into focus and then go out of focus. Once it decides that 'this" is the focus it wants I can seethe image moving in a circular pattern as though you were rolling your eyes.When I take those type of pictures it looks like I did it while driving past something. It is the camera's eye that is moving when I snap the button.
    I was just getting frustrated that I could not figure out how to take a picture. That is why I wish they still made Kodak Instamatics. There was only 1 button to take a picture and 1 lever to advance the film. Much simpler than this thing.
    But even so I guess I just got a faulty camera.Rats

Super Moderator

The L130 is a long-zoom camera that's a bit larger than your usual point and shoot. I don't have any personal experience with it but it's generally considered pretty decent.
    If you're looking for something similar but more reliable I suggest the Canon SX510, which is about the same size as your L130 but has a longer (30x) zoom lens. It's better than the L130 in all respects and its price is reasonable - less than $200 online.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information