Quantcast Odd request for a time-lapse camera that can be accessed remotely

+ Reply to Thread

Default Odd request for a time-lapse camera that can be accessed remotely

Hey all. Sorry this is going to be a really specific and odd request, but I haven't found a camera that can do everything that I need and I hope you guys can help. So, we work in construction and we want to have a camera that we can mount somewhere and have it create a time-lapse of the project. While it is doing that, we also want the camera to be able to be accessed online so that someone on the internet (not on the construction site) would be able to view what is going on through the lens of the camera, and also take pictures if they desire. These people on the internet, would also need to be able to have instant access to these pictures. We would need power to the camera to not be an issue as we don't want the people on site to have to be putting new batteries in it, so it would need to be able to accommodate DC in at all times (this is an indoor construction area so no need for waterproof casing or anything like that). I have had thoughts of having two cameras where one is completely dedicated to the time lapse while there is a second webcam that is sending a live stream. I'd like to simplify it as much as possible however, so if anyone knows of one that can combine these things let me know. Thanks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Odd request for a time-lapse camera that can be accessed remotely

What you're looking for is called an IP camera. It's similar to a webcam but is normally used in surveillance. Think of those traffic cams that are often found in intersections. You can create a time-lapse recording with software.

However, I can't recommend a specific camera as I have no experience with them. Based on my limited research I don't see a consensus around any particular brand - there are pluses and minuses for all of them. Look out for software issues.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    What you're looking for is called an IP camera. It's similar to a webcam but is normally used in surveillance. Think of those traffic cams that are often found in intersections. You can create a time-lapse recording with software.

However, I can't recommend a specific camera as I have no experience with them. Based on my limited research I don't see a consensus around any particular brand - there are pluses and minuses for all of them. Look out for software issues.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into IP cameras now and I like what I am seeing so far. I understand there is no real brand differentiation, but do you think you could recommend me a model or certain features that I should be looking for based on my original post? I am not too familiar with these types of cameras, so I am not really sure what to look for. Also, would I have to use external software in order to create the time lapse? If so, do you know of any software products that could accomplish this, and do you think this software would interfere with the live steam of the camera? We would probably want to be able to view the stream from multiple devices if that is possible. Thanks again for the help!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Try to get the best image quality you can afford. Other than that, I can't help you except to recommend looking at the Amazon.com reviews of IP cameras.

As far as the software is concerned, see this website for some recommendations:
    Sandaysoft • View topic - recommend software for IP camera??? stills and time lapse...
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Another question. I have looked at several different IP cameras, and I have a few concerns. I am a little technologically impaired, and, to me, it seems as though IP cameras are a pretty challenging to set up initially especially in a foreign environment. I would be setting it up in someone else's residence or a place of business where a construction project would be taking place. So, I would not have easy access to a the router or pretty much any other networking equipment besides knowing the wifi password. I also fear that it would take me an extended period of time to get it set up and waste valuable time I could be using to work on the project. I found this Dropcam product: Amazon.com: Dropcam Pro Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera: Camera & Photo which seemed like it's a little more streamlined and easier to use. I'm thinking of just buying something like this to get the live feed down and then having a separate high resolution digital camera mounted on the wall right next to this and have that completely dedicated to the time lapse. My concern with the Dropcam is that there is no way to record the stream or take pictures without paying for a monthly service. I honestly don't know much about cameras so let me know if this sounds like overkill or not enough for what I want. Thanks again.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

With Dropcam you need to have a connection to a WiFi network, which can be done through your computer and router or with your iPhone (it doesn't appear to work with Android phones). Also, as you say, you have to subscribe to Dropcam's expensive service if you want your image files.

It seems like a lot of money for essentially the same product that others offer, without the necessity for a subscription.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Yes, my concern with a traditional IP cam such as the Foscam ones Amazon.com: Foscam FI9821W V2 Megapixel HD 1280 x 720p H.264 Wireless/Wired Pan/Tilt IP Camera with IR-Cut Filter - 26ft Night Vision and 2.8mm Lens (70 Viewing Angle) - Black: Camera & Photo is that they have to have a static IP address set up and port forwarding turned on for their specific port (sorry if my techno-speak isn't clear here I am still learning). My concern with that is that I would either A.) not be able to access/change these things in a foreign setting such as someone else's business network where they don't want to give out that kind of administrative access to their network or B.) my technically disinclined self cannot figure out how to do it without wasting all day. With the dropcam, setup seems pretty easy and it's almost immediately streaming video online. If I were using the camera in my own home and planned on it being static for several months/years, I do not doubt I would buy a traditional IP cam, but, in this situation, I am looking for something a little more streamlined that I can have set up in minimal time. Am I making this seem more challenging in my mind than it actually would be? Are there other IP cams that are exceedingly easy to get streaming? Keep in mind that I have never done it before, and I don't know a ton about cameras/networking. Thanks a lot for the responses. You have helped me out a lot.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

If you're OK with how the Dropcam system operates it appears to be the best in its class.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    If you're OK with how the Dropcam system operates it appears to be the best in its class.
    I think I am. It seems like it is easy to work with, but I wish I could find a camera that had the same ease of use, but with a record feature that wasn't extra. I guess I am also looking for a confirmation that it would be challenging for a relative newbie to get an IP cam set up within an hour or so on a network that I don't know very well.

Thread Information