Quantcast Black and White Viewfinder

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy Stanton

Thread: Black and White Viewfinder

Question Black and White Viewfinder

Does anyone know of a camera which has a black and white viewfinder or the ability to be adjusted to view in black or white; I don’t care if it shoots in colour but I want to frame the shots in black and white.

Default Re: Black and White Viewfinder

Set any digital camera to its "monochrome" mode and you should see the B&W rendering on the LCD on the back of the camera. If you really need this feature for an eye level viewfinder, try cameras with an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder).

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator/Reviewer

As Kelly said, all cameras with electronic viewfinders (and there are many) can be set to monochrome (black and white). However this means the picture you take will also be monochrome.

Other than having a viewfinder with a monochrome display is there anything else you want from a camera?
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Well actually I believe colour is just distraction when composing a picture ‘photograph/painting’ and can be put in as an afterthought.

It’s not that I never use colour buts its low in the pecking order; basically the majority of my photographs are source material for paintings although the occasional photograph makes onto an etching plate.

I was given someone’s, what they considered obsolete, canon d40 and various lenses but it’s not something you constantly want to lug around. So for as long as I can remember I have been waiting for a pocketable camera with a large sensor and we are nearly there I think with the new Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark2 but I shall probably wait until the autumn to see what Sony does rx100.

I still want colour I just don’t want see it when taking a photograph.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Canon G1 X Mark 2 will be a fine camera, I'm sure, but its sensor is much smaller than the sensors in small, interchangeable lens cameras and thus its image quality is not going to be as good.

For example the Fuji X-A1 has a much larger sensor than the G1X Mark2 (23.6 x 15.6mm for the Fuji, 18.7 x 14mm for the Canon) plus it's smaller and weighs less (though you have to add a lens to the Fuji). But even with its 16 x 50mm kit lens, the Fuji is much cheaper than the Canon.

Here are some sample images from the Fuji X-A1:
    Flickr Search: fuji x-a1

If you feel you must have a viewfinder there are many small, mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras with large sensors that come with a viewfinder, either built-in or as an option.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Very good points by Andy

Of course the Fuji X-A1 and Sony RX100 lack viewfinders, you use the LCD on the back to compose the shot instead. If you don't need a viewfinder, then there are compact "rangefinder style" M4/3 cameras such as the Olympus E-PM2 and Panasonic DMC-GM1 that might work for you as well.

Kelly

There is always a balancing act between size over picture quality; at present my canon D40 has pretty good picture quality, maybe not a professional work horse but still reasonable for my purposes. The trouble with compact cameras with interchangeable lenses is that they are not compact, well not sufficiently enough to stick into your pocket wherever you go. In my experience the best images always present themselves to you when you have not been looking for them; like I do with my D40. If you were going out with the express purpose of looking for images then you might as well take a large camera rather than a two thirds/ three quarter camera, well at least that’s my feeling.

I know that the Sony RX100 has viewfinder adapter but once again it would be a colour image; another thing I have always wondered is why you are unable focus the LCD screens to allow you to hold the camera close to your eye rather than that stupid arm’s reach stance.

Do you know if the Canon G and Sony rx100 series cameras allow monochrome" mode, because it will probably be that size of camera I will go for, especially the Sony rx100 size, since it looks as if it would fit a pocket and could travel with you at all times.
    Last edited by Youforcoffee; 03-16-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Since you clearly don't want a camera with interchangeable lenses and small size/image quality are very important to you, the Sony RX100 II is the best out there. It's much smaller than the Canon G1 Mark II and half the weight. The Sony's lens has slightly less optical zoom than the Canon (28 x 100mm vs 24 x 120). The Sony's sensor is smaller than the Canon (13,2 x 8.8mm vs 18.7 x 14mm) but the Sony has a wider maximum aperture (F/1.8) which helps its ability in low light.

Both the Sony and the Canon have optional electronic viewfinders.

Do you know if the Canon G and Sony rx100 series cameras allow monochrome" mode,
    Yes, both have it.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks for the input although I suspect I will wait to see what Sony does with rx100 mk3.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Youforcoffee View Post
    Thanks for the input although I suspect I will wait to see what Sony does with rx100 mk3.
    The rumor mill says the RX100 M3 will be released during the summer, have a touch screen, built-in GPS and a wider angle of view - 24mm vs. the 28mm it now has.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information