Quantcast Compact camera for DSLR user

+ Reply to Thread

Question Compact camera for DSLR user

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a compact camera to purchase. We're taking our family on a vacation and don't want to take our big, heavy Nikon D90 on the trip. I am a fairly advanced amateur photographer and almost exclusively use the manual settings on my Nikon. I know I won't be happy with a basic point-and-shoot camera. I will want to be able to take great pictures of my kids, and I also really like to do landscape photography. I've been looking at reviews on the internet and am feeling completely confused and overwhelmed right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Andrea

Super Moderator

Default Re: Compact camera for DSLR user

You have a few different options for non-DSLR's with extensive manual controls.

One is a pocket-sized point and shoot camera with a long zoom lens, such as the Sony HX50v, Canon SX280HS or Panasonic ZS40. The Canon SX510 is a bit larger but still fairly small.

There are quite a few small point and shoots with a shorter zoom but with a larger sensor for improved image quality, such as the Sony RX100 II, Canon G16, Canon S110/120, Nikon P330/340, Nikon P7800, Panasonic LF1, Panasonic LX7, Fuji XQ1, Casio EX10, Pentax MX1, Samsung EX-2F.

There are also a host of small, interchangeable lens cameras with larger DSLR-type sensors, such as the Sony A5000, Sony NEX 5t, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic GF6, Panasonic GM1, Fuji X-A1, Olympus E-PL5, Olympus E-PM2, Nikon 1J3 and the Samsung NX300.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Ok, thanks for the information, Andy! I had already decided that I don't want an interchangeable lens camera. I already have that with my Nikon and doubt that I will change lenses on this camera. I have been looking at the Sony RX100. Is the zoom length and sensor size the main differences between the RX100 and the HX50v? There is quite a price difference.

Thanks again!

Super Moderator

I have been looking at the Sony RX100. Is the zoom length and sensor size the main differences between the RX100 and the HX50v? There is quite a price difference.
    Those are the main differences. Other differences are that the RX100 shoots in RAW format and has a tilting LCD.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information