Quantcast canon t3i vs Nikon D5200

+ Reply to Thread

Default canon t3i vs Nikon D5200

im new to the world of cameras. i have been using my phone up until this point. i take pictures of nature scenes, and my dogs mostly. i want a DSLR i was wondering if it is worth it to get the newer nikon over the older canon. considering photo quality, photos in low light, lens, and overall value of camera

thank you very much

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: canon t3i vs Nikon D5200

The Nikon D5200, with its standard 3x zoom lens, can be purchased online for as low as $746, while the Canon T3i, with its standard 3x zoom lens, can be had for $498, a difference of $250. While the Nikon is probably better than the Canon (more megapixels, more autofocus points, slightly larger sensor) it's not worth the extra $250, in my opinion. I'd definitely go with the Canon.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

For most purposes here I agree with Andy (confession: I am a Canon fan).

pictures of nature scenes
    In the long run, if this becomes a serious hobby, nature photography can lead to collecting a lot of lenses. Some folks prefer zooms, some prefer primes (single focal length), many end up with both. For those who crave primes, at the budget end of the range, Nikon has an advantage. Of course Canon also has lots of primes, just not as many low cost ones. If you prefer zoom lenses anyways, little difference.

Speaking of the long run, both brands offer full frame cameras for the hard core enthusiasts. If you see yourself someday ending up with a full frame body, the design and features of the full frame Canons and Nikons are quite different. A bigger difference than with the consumer crop bodies. So you may want to take a look at those, even if they are not on your menu for now.

Lots of happy owners of both the T3i and D5200 out there!

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

The D5200 and T3i are basically competing at different price points, almost an apples/oranges thing. Take a look at a D3300 in comparison to the T3i and the cost gap closes.I shoot Nikons but you won't go wrong with either brand.

Quote Originally Posted by local 59 kid View Post
    im new to the world of cameras. i have been using my phone up until this point. i take pictures of nature scenes, and my dogs mostly. i want a DSLR i was wondering if it is worth it to get the newer nikon over the older canon. considering photo quality, photos in low light, lens, and overall value of camera

thank you very much
    I recently bought the Nikon D5200,I am very satisfied with it, it's an incredible camera. The photos are just amazing at 24Mega Pixels. The autofocus VR lens is awesome.

Thread Information