Quantcast First camera

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First camera

Default First camera

I've only ever used my phone camera for pictures, however I'm planning a trip out west to the Badlands, Yellowstone, and the Tetons this summer so I'd like to get something to get some better shots than my phone would provide.

My budget is $350 at most, so far my thoughts are either a medium range point and shoot, maybe like :
    Amazon.com: Nikon COOLPIX L830 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 34x Zoom NIKKOR Lens and Full 1080p HD Video (Black): NIKON: Camera & Photo

Or a low end DSLR
    Nikon D3200 24 2 MP Digital SLR w 18 55mm Lens Refurbished by Nikon USA 25492B 001828254927 | eBay

On the trip, I'd preferably like something to get good shots in bright light and evening, hopefully some good pictures of wildlife! and a sunrise/sunset over the Badlands wouldn't hurt too. I'm also really into astronomy, I'm assuming this is out of my price range, but being able to get some pictures of all the stars that will be out west would be awesome as well, Columbus, Ohio doesn't do them justice at all.

Thanks for the input in advance, I really appreciate it!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: First camera

Neither camera seems 100% suitable for your trip to the Badlands.

Both Nikons will take good looking pictures in daylight. The D3200 will have an advantage due to its optical viewfinder, which you'll need when shooting in the bright sunshine. But since you intend to take pictures of wildlife you'll need a longer lens than the 18-55mm kit lens of the D3200 - the 34x zoom lens lf the L830 would come in very handy. To take pictures of the stars you'll need to set up your camera on a tripod and set the camera for long exposure - something you can do on the D3200 as it permits you to control shutter speed, but you can't on the L830 because it doesn't allow you to control shutter speed.

As an alternative to the two Nikons you might want to consider a long zoom point and shoot with a built-in viewfinder. There are many available from different manufacturers. For Nikon the P520 fits within your price range. There's also the Panasonic FZ70 and the Fuji SL1000, both of which have long zoom lenses and viewfinders. Of the three cameras the Fuji SL1000 has the slowest minimum shutter speed, at 30 seconds, which makes it better able to take pictures of stars.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 04-04-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Very good points by Andy

I would like to add that both astrophotography and wildlife shooting are very dependent on weather conditions. While I do not live in that part of the West, I have a strong suspicion that weather good enough for astrophotography will be a lot more iffy than for wildlife. Those SLR-like long zoom cameras Andy suggested are good "trainers" for wildlife, just be sure to get one with a viewfinder. Links for suggestions on shooting wildlife -

Quick Tip For Spotting Wildlife - PhotoNaturalist

Wildlife Photography | Nature and Photography

Quick Tip: Playing It Safe with Wildlife Photography - Tuts+ Photography Article

Animal and Wildlife Photography - Digital Photo Secrets

5 Big Tips to add Impact and Variety to your Wildlife Images - Digital Photography School

Wildlife Photography Tips Part One

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

What do you think about the Panasonic FZ70? Similar specs to the SL1000 but according to (bestbuy), it has a optional 60 second shutter time.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by brendan207@gmail.com View Post
    What do you think about the Panasonic FZ70? Similar specs to the SL1000 but according to (bestbuy), it has a optional 60 second shutter time.
    The FZ70's specifications show a minimum shutter speed of 8 seconds, but I see that the camera has a starry sky mode that will let you set a shutter speed of 15, 30 or 60 seconds, which will enable you to take good astronomical photos. I think the FZ70 would be a fine choice for you.
    Here are some sample images:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=panasonic%20fz70
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks for the reply Andy! I'm assuming that even with the shutter at 15/30 seconds, I would only be able to get the brightest stars and wouldn't have a shot at capturing the milky way with the FZ70's light sensor?

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply Andy!
    Do you think the sensor is only capable of getting the brightest stars, or do you think that even with a relatively small sensor, it would have a chance of capturing the milky way?

Thanks!

Could anyone recommend me a tripod and remote shutter release if it would work with the FZ70? Do any tripods work with any old camera? I'm hoping to get a relatively light weight one that I could take hiking

All cameras and all tripods use the same 1/4-20 bolt thread. So yes, you can mix cameras and tripods all you like.

Kelly

Thread Information