Quantcast Which DSLR camera should I buy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which DSLR camera should I buy?

Default Which DSLR camera should I buy?

Hey guys, This is going to be my first DSLR camera and I was wondering which one I should I get. I plan on doing video recording and picture taking. I already own a Lexar Professional SDHC 32GB Class 10 600x card. I was looking at the T3i, T5i, D3300 or any other suggestions. Which one would be better for my needs. Used cameras isn't really an option because my dad doesn't trust the seller if the camera was stolen or broken. I don't really have a budget but maybe around $800 or less(Less is better).

Thanks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Which DSLR camera should I buy?

For a DSLR for under $800 you have several good choices among Canon and Nikon - the Canon T5i, T3i and SL1 and the Nikon D3300 and D3200. The basic differences between the Canons and Nikons is that the Nikons produce slightly better images with less digital noise in low light situations, but the Canons have a better movie mode, better focusing mode and some features that the Nikons lack.

There are three Canons worth serious consideration, the T5i, the T3i and the SL1. The SL1 is very appealing because it's significantly smaller and lighter in weight than the other two though it has similar features. It also has a touchscreen interface, as does the more expensive T5i, but not the T3i. The T5i has a fully articulating LCD while the LCDs on the other two Canons are fixed. The T5i is significantly more expensive than the T3i and the SL1, which are about the same price.

The Nikon D3200 is very similar to the D3300 but is significantly less expensive (the D3300 is about the same price as the Canon SL1 and T3i). Both Nikons have a fixed LCD and don't have a touchscreen.

If you decide to go with Canon and like the touchscreen, choose the SL1 if you want a smaller camera but the T5i if you'd like a larger camera with an articulating LCD. You can save some money with the T3i.

If you want to go with Nikon I'd go for the D3200. I can't see any reason to pay extra for the D3300.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Good points by Andy. Only both the T3i and T4i do have flip-out LCDs:

Canon EOS Rebel T3i First Look

Canon Rebel T5i Review

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Kelly's right, the T3i also has the flip out LCD like the T5i.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by IBIubbleTea View Post
    Hey guys, This is going to be my first DSLR camera and I was wondering which one I should I get. I plan on doing video recording and picture taking. I already own a Lexar Professional SDHC 32GB Class 10 600x card. I was looking at the T3i, T5i, D3300 or any other suggestions. Which one would be better for my needs. Used cameras isn't really an option because my dad doesn't trust the seller if the camera was stolen or broken. I don't really have a budget but maybe around $800 or less(Less is better).

Thanks.
    What do you think of the D5200? Is it better in recording than the T5i? Also do the Nikon cameras have a time limit like the T5i?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by IBIubbleTea View Post
    What do you think of the D5200? Is it better in recording than the T5i? Also do the Nikon cameras have a time limit like the T5i?
    The D5200 is a step up from the D3200 and D3300. Excellent image quality for stills and movies. Less digital noise than images from the Canon T3i, T4i and T5i. The D5200 has a flip-out, revolving LCD, like the Canons, but it does not have a touch screen. When recording movies the D5200 uses a different compression scheme than the Canons, so its movies have smaller files. But the Canons give you more control over movie recording and probably better focusing as well. Yes, both Nikon and Canon have a time limit when recording movies. Overall the D5200 is superior to the Canons in image quality but the Canons have better handling.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The D5200 is a step up from the D3200 and D3300. Excellent image quality for stills and movies. Less digital noise than images from the Canon T3i, T4i and T5i. The D5200 has a flip-out, revolving LCD, like the Canons, but it does not have a touch screen. When recording movies the D5200 uses a different compression scheme than the Canons, so its movies have smaller files. But the Canons give you more control over movie recording and probably better focusing as well. Yes, both Nikon and Canon have a time limit when recording movies. Overall the D5200 is superior to the Canons in image quality but the Canons have better handling.
    My dad is willing on paying a bit more for a camera, The options I have is getting the D5300 or still getting the t5i. What do you think of the D5300?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The D5300 improves on the D5200 in several ways and now matches up better with the T5i. Nikon has removed the low-pass filter, for improved image quality, something Canon has not done with the T5i. The D5300 has built-in WiFi and GPS, unlike the T5i. The D5300 has a larger, sharper LCD screen and a larger viewfinder than the D5200 and is now roughly equal to that of the T5i in those areas. The T5i still has the advantage of a touch screen interface, plus it feels more solid and more comfortable to hold (in my opinion). Try out both cameras. If the D5300 feels as good as or better to you than the T5i and you don't mind paying an additional $150, the D5300 makes a lot of sense, especially for its superb image quality.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The D5300 improves on the D5200 in several ways and now matches up better with the T5i. Nikon has removed the low-pass filter, for improved image quality, something Canon has not done with the T5i. The D5300 has built-in WiFi and GPS, unlike the T5i. The D5300 has a larger, sharper LCD screen and a larger viewfinder than the D5200 and is now roughly equal to that of the T5i in those areas. The T5i still has the advantage of a touch screen interface, plus it feels more solid and more comfortable to hold (in my opinion). Try out both cameras. If the D5300 feels as good as or better to you than the T5i and you don't mind paying an additional $150, the D5300 makes a lot of sense, especially for its superb image quality.
    Is the D5300 recording quality better than the T5i. Also I think I'm going to use Manual Focus for recording and auto for pictures depend on the scene.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

As long as you manual focus you'll have a satisfying movie recording experience with the Nikon D5300, as the movie AF jumps around a lot and the AF motor is loud and shows up in the recording. The T5i, with its touchscreen, has a much easier and quieter focusing system for recording movies. As far as movie image quality is concerned, both are very good though the Nikon is probably a bit better.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information