Quantcast Samsung WB800F or Something Else?

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By molly_dog
  • 1 Post By molly_dog

Thread: Samsung WB800F or Something Else?

Default Samsung WB800F or Something Else?

Just looking for some advice on this camera. I primarily take spontaneous people shots for display on the website for a small municipality in Western New York. But I occasionally get prints up to 8x10 for events such as the fire department's annual inspection. I've been wanting to add video but my current camera (FujiFilm S1500) is capable of only a grainy 640x480.

Our village has many community events throughout the year. Some are indoor such as the Halloween & Easter parties Others are outdoors like the concerts in the park, the annual family picnic, etc. Some also are either at night, dusk/twilight or in a dimly lit area.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I really don't have the need (nor the budget) for a very high-end camera. I've read mixed reviews on this Samsung. Some of the negative comments I've read, however, seem to me to be a bit extreme for what I think is this product's demographic. While I don't expect it to perform like one of its $1000 counterparts, low light issues, like those mentioned in a couple of the reviews, are a legitimate concern for me.

At the same time, I'm on Social Security Disability and a ~$200 camera is really stretching the ol' budget. The WB800F seems to fit my overal needs (and budget) pretty well but I'd appreciate some input from any of y'all who might have experience with this camera or from those who could recommend one in the same price range that might be a better fit for my particular situation.

Thanks so very much & I wish all of you a very happy Easter!!
    Jack

Super Moderator

Default Re: Samsung WB800F or Something Else?

Since price is a major issue to you consider the Samsung WB250f. It's about 1/2 the price of the WB800f and the only significant difference is the amount of optical zoom - 18x for the 250f compared to 21x for the 800f.

If you'd prefer a camera that looks similar to your Fuji S1500, the Canon SX510 is an excellent choice. It's compact (smaller than your Fuji), has a very long (30x) optical zoom, good image quality and movie quality and built-in WiFi. It's about the same price as the Samsung WB800f. One thing it lacks is the easy panorama mode that many other cameras have - the ability to create an ultra-wide panorama by sweeping the camera horizontally or vertically.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks so much! I forgot to mention in my list of parameters, as it were, that I do occasionally use a panorama in page headers, such as this one on our index page. They're a little tricky to compose manually with the S1500 but that feature's not really a deal breaker. I'll take a look at the models you mentioned.

Thanks again!

After all was said & done, on eBay I stumbled across a great deal on another FujiFilm model: A brand-spanking-new Finepix S8300. It was only missing the original box & packaging.

I know it's low-tech in comparison but I really thought about it and I was nervous about giving up the electronic viewfinder option. During outdoor events sometimes it's nearly impossible to frame a shot using the LCD display. I used the EVF on my S1500 quite often outdoors and even sometimes indoors.

The 16.2 MP is plenty for my needs and the 42x optical zoom has my jaw hanging open! The full HD video capability is pretty amazing in itself. The dedicated one-touch recording button is nice, too. I was astonished to see full screen, smooth running video on my TV!

With the deal I got on the camera, I also had enough left over for a nice tripod that is also perfect for my needs. It's an Opteka OPT7000 70" that I found on Amazon for under $30. At 6'3"+, it's nice to use a tripod that is actually almost as tall as I am when fully extended!

I used both Easter Sunday to photograph & video the annual Easter Egg hunt & magic show. Made my job a heck of a lot easier! There's a lot I still don't know about this camera but with some of its features, it's plenty smart for the both of us. It has so many advancements that the S1500 seems like an old Instamatic to me now.

Thanks for the advice & suggestions, guys! You guys gave me stuff to think about that I otherwise would not have thought of. I really appreciate it!!

Super Moderator

The S8300 is good camera with a very long zoom lens. Enjoy it!
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information