Quantcast Going to Europe for 30 Days, should I buy a new DSLR or use a Canon T1i lent to me for free?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Going to Europe for 30 Days, should I buy a new DSLR or use a Canon T1i lent to me for free?

Hi,

Firstly, I am very new to everything cameras and basically have no clue about them.

My grandfather has a Canon T1i that he told me I could use for free. The other one I was looking at was the Canon T3i, which I would need to pay for.

Basically I'm wondering the pros/cons of each and which you'd choose in this particular circumstance. It should be noted that both cameras would have the 18-55mm lens.

Also, if there is another camera you would suggest then please do do, but my budget is around $550. I'd really like to use the T1i and not have to pay anything, but I want to make sure I'm getting great image quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Going to Europe for 30 Days, should I buy a new DSLR or use a Canon T1i lent to me for free?

The difference between the T1i and T3i is minor - both are very fine DSLR's. If your intent is to have a good camera for your trip the T1i will work fine - there's no need to spend your money on a new camera. However, if you do want your own camera the T3i is a very good buy at about $550. However for another $100 you can purchase the Nikon D3300, which is a better camera in most respects, especially in image quality.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Lightbulb Re: Going to Europe for 30 Days, should I buy a new DSLR or use a Canon T1i lent to me for free?

There are new cameras that are smaller than DSLR, easier to pack along on an extended trip. As examples, you could buy a new Olympus PEN E-PM2 or a used Sony RX100 for $100 less than your budget. For all practical purposes the PM2 matches the T1i image quality and the RX100 comes darned close. One of the factors that makes these designs compact is that they lack a viewfinder. You shoot by holding them out in front of you, same as with a cell phone.

Olympus PEN Lite E-PL5 and PEN Mini E-PM2 Close Up

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 Review: Simply Amazing

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Default Re: Going to Europe for 30 Days, should I buy a new DSLR or use a Canon T1i lent to me for free?

Thanks so much, that was a lot of help!

Thread Information