Quantcast So many choices and not sure where to start...

+ Reply to Thread

Default So many choices and not sure where to start...

I am very new to cameras and really haven't had more than my cell phone camera for a few years now. My family and I are moving to England in a couple of months and we are hoping to travel A LOT while there for the next 4 years. I have a 6 month old so I will need to be able to take high quality pictures of a fast moving toddler. As far as zoom I am a bit unsure. I will be taking photographs of a lot of architecture and nature so I would think zoom is pretty important to capture some of the detail. My budget is around $1000 but obviously less if there is something that will do the job. Size...considering I will have a small child and with travel and walking a lot I don't think a very large camera will work. Preferably I would like something that I can reasonably hang around my neck and carry around. I have no clue if I will be taking pictures in low light...I would assume so, but not primarily. I just want very high image quality 8-10 and not sure how megapixles incorporate into all of that (yes, I know I have no clue what I am talking about). 1 more thing of importance... battery life, something that will at least last all day. I did happen to look at the new Canon EOS Rebel SL1 but like I said, I pretty much have no clue what I am talking about Thank you for any input it is much appreciated!

Super Moderator

Default Re: So many choices and not sure where to start...

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 is a small, lightweight DSLR that has great image quality. With its standard 3x zoom lens you shouldn't have a problem carrying it around. For long zoom photos you can buy an additional lens that you can keep in a camera bag to use if and when you need it. I only have two issues with the SL1. One is that its right-hand grip is rather shallow and the other is that its battery life is not great for a DSLR, though it would probably last all day if you didn't take many movies or spend much time going through the camera's menus. As an alternative to the SL1 you may want to consider the Nikon D3300 - great image quality, small and lightweight (only a bit larger and heavier than the SL1), an excellent grip and excellent battery life.
    Here are some photos from the SL1 and the D3300:
    SL1
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon%20sl1

D3300
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...=nikon%20d3300
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: So many choices and not sure where to start...

That is a bunch of requirements! I will fire off a few thoughts -

travel A LOT == Usually this means a smallish camera, not a DSLR.

high quality pictures of a fast moving toddler == Usually this does mean a DSLR. But with the right technique (especially flash) most cameras can do this.

a lot of architecture == This means a wide angle lens. Most cameras come with a "kit" lens equivalent to 28mm. Which is Ok for most arcthitecture. A few advanced compacts and mirrorless come with a 24mm kit lens, which is a little better (wider angle). For DLSR you can buy an additional lens as wide as 16mm for around $500 just for the lens (I have one of these).

nature so I would think zoom is pretty important to capture some of the detail == Telephoto is what is needed here ("zoom" is not really the correct term). There are "bridge" cameras with small sensors and extreme telephoto built in that are Ok in sunlight. These look like baby DSLR cameras, including a viewfinder (essential feature for extreme telephoto). A first glance it would appear that these cameras can do it all, but the small sensor holds them back when the light is less than perfect.

budget is around $1000 == You can certainly find nice cameras for this budget, they just won't excel at all of your requirements. That is a big enough budget to consider getting two cameras to cover more bases. Such as a low end cheap DSLR for chasing your child around at home and around the town. Plus a compact with 24mm WA built-in for extended travel. Most camera enthusiasts end up with multiple cameras.

small child and with travel and walking a lot I don't think a very large camera will work == A DSLR can be Ok for a half day. If I know I'm going to be lugging my camera around for the entire day then I prefer taking my lighter mirrorless camera.

very high image quality 8-10 and not sure how megapixles incorporate into all of that == Nobody wants crummy photos, but different people have very different ideas of just what high quality is. Except for the most advanced enthusiasts Mp doesn't really mean much. A competent photographer can get a very nice quality photo with just 7Mp. So don't fuss over Mp.

1 more thing of importance... battery life, something that will at least last all day == Good idea for a pocket camera such as a compact. For my mirrorless camera and my DSLR I simply carry a spare battery in my bag. No big deal.

new Canon EOS Rebel SL1 == I like this camera a lot. In my view the compact grip is fine for light weight consumer grade lenses. The more advanced lenses can be heavy (and expensive), for those I would want a more advanced body. My main concerns with the SL1 are cost and bulk. A used T2i or T3i will cost less, making room in the budget for a nice compact camera or an additional lens. And the SL1 still needs a "full size" DSLR bag, with a mirrorless camera you can get by with a smaller bag.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information