Quantcast Issue with current camera, looking for possible replacement

+ Reply to Thread

Default Issue with current camera, looking for possible replacement

I got the Sony DSC-HX20V about a year ago, this fall i started noticing specs and white dots in my shots, had some health issues so just started looking into this again it seems to be a dust issue, i tried a tip i saw about vacuuming it not sure that work

any other suggestions also at this point im looking to possibly replace it with a camera that is equal to it in specs but doesnt have this issue and another issue i have when using flash and doing a close up shot there is a shadow in the left or right corner

so i would like recommendations on a new digital camera as well, one that has a zoom equal to this or better and is good for low light events like concerts and sporting events

Budget i say willing to spend up to $350 if i could get away with cheaper that would be better

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Issue with current camera, looking for possible replacement

Dust issues are sometimes found in cameras with interchangeable lenses as dust can get on the camera's sensor when the lens is removed. But the lens is never removed with a point and shoot camera like the HX20v so that shouldn't be an issue. I can think of a few more likely possibilities. You could be seeing dust on the lens. Or speckles resulting from photos taken in low light with a high ISO. Or reflections from dust particles in the air (it happens). Or, in the worst case scenario, you have dead pixels in your sensor.

Have you tried cleaning the outside of the lens? If that doesn't work and your camera is still under warranty, contact the warranty provider.
    Could you attach a photo showing the problem? Look at the icon for "insert image".
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Dust issues are sometimes found in cameras with interchangeable lenses as dust can get on the camera's sensor when the lens is removed. But the lens is never removed with a point and shoot camera like the HX20v so that shouldn't be an issue. I can think of a few more likely possibilities. You could be seeing dust on the lens. Or speckles resulting from photos taken in low light with a high ISO. Or reflections from dust particles in the air (it happens). Or, in the worst case scenario, you have dead pixels in your sensor.

Have you tried cleaning the outside of the lens? If that doesn't work and your camera is still under warranty, contact the warranty provider.
    Could you attach a photo showing the problem? Look at the icon for "insert image".
    yeah i did cleaning today so we will see this weekend when i use it, it doesnt always shows it depends on the zoom its on i think because placement is different as well

here is a few examples it can be worse then this though but i cant find a good pic to show you where it is worse these are from a wrestling convention i went to, i tried to upload with inset image it says failed so here is links to the pics

in this one you can see the white dot on my sleeve
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...16522031_n.jpg

again this one on my sleeve to the right
    https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...00921342_n.jpg

here you can see on the black background above my head there is one

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...09425577_n.jpg

here you can clearly see several

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...44015089_n.jpg

Super Moderator/Reviewer

That's pretty bad. I'd contact Sony and see what they say.
    If you're interested in a new camera and you want another compact like the HX20v I'd look for something that takes good photos in low light without a flash, as you seem to take lots of indoor pictures. For $350 or less you can pick up the Panasonic LF1, the Nikon P340 or the Canon S110, all of which take great looking indoor shots - much better than your HX20v. They all have relatively short zoom lenses, though - 7.1x for the Panasonic and 5x for the Nikon and Canon.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    That's pretty bad. I'd contact Sony and see what they say.
    If you're interested in a new camera and you want another compact like the HX20v I'd look for something that takes good photos in low light without a flash, as you seem to take lots of indoor pictures. For $350 or less you can pick up the Panasonic LF1, the Nikon P340 or the Canon S110, all of which take great looking indoor shots - much better than your HX20v. They all have relatively short zoom lenses, though - 7.1x for the Panasonic and 5x for the Nikon and Canon.
    Thanks i will contact them, do you know of any other ones that have better zooms then that or those are the best you know off the top of your head?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
    Thanks i will contact them, do you know of any other ones that have better zooms then that or those are the best you know off the top of your head?
    For small cameras with excellent image quality there are none with longer zoom. The reason is that because these cameras have larger sensors the lens is larger as well and a long zoom lens would be too large and heavy for a small camera.

If you want a camera with similar specifications to your Sony HX20v the Canon SX280HS is very good and is currently selling for only about $200 online. It won't give you the excellent low light image quality of the 3 large sensor cameras I mentioned but will give you a 20x zoom lens like your Sony and image quality that's on par with it.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information