Quantcast Which Camera for Film-Making?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Which Camera for Film-Making?

Hello everybody.
    I am currently looking for a camera for film-making and pictures. After some research, I considered buying a Canon 6D. However, not being a huge experts on camera and DSLR, I would like to know if you guys can provide me any suggestions or advices on other camera models, or what I should be looking for.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Around 2000 Euros

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Medium

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Don't re

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

I might need a standard one.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

Yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Film-making, pictures (landscape, people, city)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Probably

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Not specifically

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I have only used Canon so far, and I found myself confortable. Not able to answer this questions.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No :/ Any suggestions that allows me to make more research on what I might need

Is the Canon6D a good option? have you got any more suggestions?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Which Camera for Film-Making?

The Canon 6d has a full frame sensor and takes great still shots, even in low light. But its movie mode is hampered by the absence of an ability to continually autofocus, something that can be done with the Canon 70d, which is less expensive than the 6d. Though the 70d does not have a full frame sensor it takes good looking still photos. However, if you intend to manually focus while taking movies, the full frame 6d is the better alternative.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Also, the 6D is well suited to prime lenses, if you happen to prefer those over zoom.

For quickie run-and-gun video shooting, a dedicated video camera still beats a DSLR though. Even a relatively cheap camcorder.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks for all your great answers!

I am not a huge fan of auto-focus so I think I can deal with it. However, what you mean that prime lenses are best suited for the Canon 6D? What are the restrictions if I use zoom lenses?

There are not really any restrictions on zoom lenses for the 6D! Sorry if my post came across that way. There are excellent zoom lenses for the 6D, but they will be heavier and more expensive than the zoom lenses for the smaller Canons like the 70D. For some folks weight is important, for many it is not. The lenses made just for the smaller Canons (EF-S lens mount) cannot be used on the full frame Canons such as the 6D. With one exception prime lenses (not talking about zooms now) for the 70D are the same as for the 6D. The advantage the 6D has with a prime lens, over the 70D with the same prime lens is that the 6D will have the benefit of the full field of view for that lens. The smaller sensor on the 70D cuts down of the width of the field of view, aka crop factor.

Big cameras and lenses make perfect sense for use with a tripod or a video "rig". Many amateurs hand hold their camera instead, that is when weight will be a factor for some (but not everybody).

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    There are not really any restrictions on zoom lenses for the 6D! Sorry if my post came across that way. There are excellent zoom lenses for the 6D, but they will be heavier and more expensive than the zoom lenses for the smaller Canons like the 70D. For some folks weight is important, for many it is not. The lenses made just for the smaller Canons (EF-S lens mount) cannot be used on the full frame Canons such as the 6D. With one exception prime lenses (not talking about zooms now) for the 70D are the same as for the 6D. The advantage the 6D has with a prime lens, over the 70D with the same prime lens is that the 6D will have the benefit of the full field of view for that lens. The smaller sensor on the 70D cuts down of the width of the field of view, aka crop factor.

Big cameras and lenses make perfect sense for use with a tripod or a video "rig". Many amateurs hand hold their camera instead, that is when weight will be a factor for some (but not everybody).

Kelly

Thanks for erasing my doubt! I would like to ask you one more question: Are there any other camera that you would recommend me for my purposes?

An EVF is nice feature, there are Panasonic Micro4/3 cameras with that advantage. My approach to video is casual, I would choose a camcorder, if separate cameras for still and video is within budget. If I were making promotional videos, that is more serious, and the 6D would be a good start. But only a start. Spend some time with different cameras in a store to see what type might fit your expectations best.

Kelly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

A camcorder with a DSLR-like sensor will be extremely expensive, more so than the Canon 6D. Plus it will be larger and heavier. If your main interest is image quality, a DSLR with good movie ability, like the Canon 70D or 6D, should meet your needs.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

THank you all!

Thread Information