Quantcast Bridge or Reflex ?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Bridge or Reflex ?

Hello,

I am a Belgian Student and I would like to buy a new camera. But I hesitate between a bridge and a reflex.
    I know the bridge is less expensive and it's why I hesitate because of my student's budget.
    But other side, the quality of a reflex is no doubt better.. So someone could advice me in my choice?
    I will mainly use it for my holidays, and some artistic pictures during the year but I am not an accomplished photographer.

Thanks a lot !

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Bridge or Reflex ?

Actually the higher quality "bridge" cameras (ultrazooms) such as the Sony HX300, Nikon P600 and Canon SX50, are as expensive as a lower-end DSLR such as the Sony A3000. One main difference between these "bridge" cameras and a DSLR is that the former has a built in lens with very long zoom capability, while the DSLR typically comes with a short 3x zoom lens - you have to buy additional lenses if you want more telephoto, macro or other features. Another important difference is that the DSLR has a much larger sensor and, therefore, much better image quality, especially in low light without a flash.

Which one to choose depends on your needs and your budget.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 06-10-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Some bridge cameras (Andy would know more about this than me) may have an automatic lens cover. DSLR and mirrorless cameras all need a separate lens cap, which really irritates some casual shooters.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

All the good bridges have lens caps.

The Sony DSC-RX10 is the only bridge that can go almost toe to toe with any SLR in the price range. I find that while images still lack the definition that SLR's do, but it's the first bridge in my opinion that really makes a lot of sense having and keeping for a while. I personally still want / usually use something a lot smaller but if you want an extremely flexible camera which you aren't plugging/unplugging lenses on all the time, then it's worth considering. However, it's ~1400.

The cheaper (<500) bridges are seriously compromised - their sensors are TINY compared to SLR's so you have to use the lens a lot more to get sufficient detail in your photos which limits your creative framing / post-processing opportunity - or if you don't, you're left with a smeary photo that's no different from a ~150 compact.

I actually like the higher-end Fuji bridges (HSxxEXR) a lot for their ease of use and general versatility, but they're almost as bulky as a small DSLR/SLT and have the above tiny-sensor problem. They use something called EXR which attempts to counteract the problem of the small sensor by doubling up pixels, but it's still not that effective.

I would say if you have any serious interest in photography, get a DSLR or an ILC like the Sony Alpha ILC-5000 / 6000 (which is basically a very compact DSLR without the SLR). If you want a decent snapper for holidays, you might be better off going for a 'prosumer' compact which will give you better images than a bridge for the vast majority of the time, like an Olympus XZ-2, Lumix DMC-LX7, or even an old-stock Sony RX100 Mark 1.
    "The secret to photography? F/8 and be there." ~ Wilbur Garrett, National Geographic

Thread Information