Quantcast Help Need recommendations

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ama

Default Help Need recommendations

Hi, looking for a new camera to replace my Panasonic DMC-ZS7 -- which has a speck on the lens or something that I cant seem to remove.
    Pretty much an amateur but do like to fiddle with the settings and macro shots etc. Main subjects are flowers, pets, nature.

Was perfectly happy with this camera, so I am looking to get something similar if not another Panasonic.

Priorities are image quality first !
    then pocketable for travel, video for dogs, some zoom, reasonable price but willing to pay more for quality.

Lots of hype around the Sony RX100 +++

any thoughts?

Thanks

Super Moderator

Default Re: Help Need recommendations

The RX100 III has recently been released. It's an excellent point and shoot camera with the best image quality of any camera that doesn't have interchangeable lens capability (thanks largely to the camera's large sensor). It's similar to the earlier versions, the RX100 II and the original RX100, but better. But it has very little optical zoom, 2.9X, (3.6X in the II and I), and is very expensive - $798 online ($648 for the II and $498 for the I). If those prices are too high for you there are some excellent lower priced point and shoot cameras that have very good image quality, such as the large sensor Canon S110 (5x) Nikon P340,(5x), Panasonic LX 7 (3.8x) and the smaller sensor (but still very good) Canon SX700 (30x) and Canon SX280 HS (20x).
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Ama

Thank you ... Is the RX100 III really worth the extra money compared to the 100 I ?
    I keep waffling btw the ease of the panasonic and going for something new ... everyone has an opinion and the more you read the more you get confused.

I never thought of zoom too much - I will be travelling soon so that means holiday shots of scenery buildings people etc ... would I miss the extra zoom or does one just adapt to what they have. Never thought much about it with the previous Canon with 3x zoom but having had the 12x ...

Also, Do you have an opinion on going the Mirror less route later on?

Thanks for the help in advance ... like I said before "too much info too much info" for the average amateur

Ama

Okay so I found someone who posted my exact thoughts ... to which you also replied to. (I apologise for not searching the threads better before I posted)

You did suggest the Sony A5000
    There is a A6000 for $799

If one was wanting to get the most bang for their buck ....
    and still waffling on what to get ...

and aside from the weight factor 240 vs 300 (+100 for the lens ?)
    do you have any extra thoughts.

Super Moderator

The difference in image quality between the Sony Rx100 1, 11 and 111 is minimal. Also you're not likely to see that much of an improvement with the Sony A5000 or A6000. Personally I think the A5000 gives you the most for the money due to its large DSLR sensor, as long as you're OK with its larger size (compared to the Rx100 series) with the lens attached. The A5000 will give you the option of purchasing a long lens (at extra cost) if you decide at some point that this is important.
    Here are some pics from the A5000. I think they show the excellent detail and color produced by the camera.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sony%20a5000

But these pics from the Rx100 are also excellent.
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...t=sony%20rx100
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Ama

Thanks to you both for your valuable opinions and for taking the time for ANOTHER undecided waffling newbie.
    Looks like a lot of people have the same problems choosing that I have .... lots to read

And if I have any more questions I'll be back

THanks again

ama

Ama

Okay so I stopped reading all the reviews because it was driving me nuts ... no camera is perfect for everyone and too many people love to tell you you are an idiot for buy such and such a camera.
    I splurged for the Rx100 ii (they threw in a SD card so there was less of a price gap btw the 100 and the 100 ii) I would have been fine with the 100 but I thought what the heck.

Certainly would consider trying the Alpha5000 at a later date - very satisfying clicking experience - felt good. But for size and portability the rx100ii won out, plus I have a spouse less likely to want to fiddle with a camera.

First impression - Video ... WOW !
    Colour great. and that was pretty much right out of the box. I think I am going to love Aperture mode.
    Shooting is still a little awkward but I think after a bit once you get to know where everything is it will become second nature ...

still love the feel of my little Panasonic and miss the extra zoom but I figure I can just crop for similar results.

Thank you for your suggestions.

P.S. The manual sucks ... can anyone suggest a good Site or forum that explains what each of the settings do and when to use them ?

Super Moderator

P.S. The manual sucks ... can anyone suggest a good Site or forum that explains what each of the settings do and when to use them ?
    The paper manual that comes with the camera is very basic. The comprehensive manual is found on the CD Rom that comes with the camera or you can get it here:
    https://docs.sony.com/release/DSCRX100_EN_ES.pdf
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information