Quantcast Woodturnings

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Woodturnings

Default Woodturnings

Hello I'm a woodturner and I'd like to upgrade my photos. Usually I drape some fabric over a box, put the item on the fabric and shoot.
    I would like to spend $150 or less.
    I turn bowls, boxes, bells,items of about 3' to 12''
    I am getting a photo tent and lights
    Also a graduated backdrop
    I have a tripod

I don't want to learn about F stops or lens application I'm thinking point and shoot, auto/manual light balance I have no idea what mega pixels
    I don't know what to look for.

Thanks

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Woodturnings

For $150 probably the best all-around camera is the Sony WX80. Canon makes some excellent small cameras but none equals the Sony at that price point. The only major issue with the Sony is its size - it's very small and the buttons are small as well. I urge you to try it out before you buy to see if its size is an issue for you.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Every camera has an Auto mode. But there is no such thing as automatic lighting, even with a light tent. The closest to that would be to have a local photographer show you a few setups with your gear. Take careful notes of each setup. Then use the notes to recreate a setup as needed. Links for ideas -

How to Take Great Photos of an Electronics Product with a Digital Camera

How to Set Up a Home Studio

Easy Product Photography | Snapfactory

How to Use a Light Tent for Small Product Photography

Creating Your Personal Tabletop Studio - Tuts+ Photography Article

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Gosh golly ge wiz The more research I do the more befuddled I get. I see pics from folks using a 3 megapixel camera in a tent from built from all kinds of fabric or card board and plumbing tubing. The lighting comes from HD or Lowes. It could be CFL's, Halogen, Incandesant. Most of the pics are fine for me. I'm not looking for pictures for juried showes. I spend plenty of cash on turning tools I'd rather not spent another grand on photo equip.
    I'll check out the links. Thanks

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it all, you're right, there are a lot of ways to get this done. And various DIY fixtures are popular for this.

I'm not a fan of light tents, but I don't shoot very small objects all that often. Nor am I a fan of super soft lighting. So I get this kind of thing done as a "tabletop" exercise, instead of a "light tent" exercise.

The cheap household lights will work perfectly for B&W photos. Their problems arise when shooting color. The color errors can be fixed (sort of) later with a photo editor (just google "white balance"). But easily the best color quality comes with strobe lights. Unfortunately a learning curve also comes with strobes. Although that white balance correcting with a photo editor is its own learning curve, so this is sort of 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. Pro grade strobes are super expensive, those that are Ok grade for hobbyists start at around $50 USD.

Kelly

Thread Information