Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy Stanton
  • 1 Post By KCook
  • 1 Post By Andy Stanton
  • 1 Post By KCook

Thread: Looking for an entry level mirrorless camera

Default Looking for an entry level mirrorless camera

Hey guys,

I need some help in choosing my first semi-pro camera (had a basic point and shoot ages ago). I never had any good cameras, not even on my smartphone. With that said, I am really a beginner (or worse) in photography but I'm willing and interested to learn. So, please try your best to provide advice (why is the particular model better) in layman's term.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I'm putting this first as my budget will be around the price of these models. Prices may be higher in my country due to import tax so converting them may not be accurate. Here they are:
    1. Samsung NX2000
    2. Olympus E-PL5
    3. Fujifilm X-A1
    If there are other models within this price range with equal or better quality, do point them out.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Around the size of the above mentioned models.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Anything above 12mp is fine.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Not a necessity but good to have.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    At least 8.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Yes. But I will need some time to learn.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    I will probably be using auto mode 60% of the time. The occurrences are such as vacations, convocations, sports event and family/friends gatherings. The 40% would be to learn how to take good photos. Eg, indoor, outdoor, random objects, nature, etc.
    Also, i would like to take fun photos with bokeh and other photography tricks.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Probably not a lot but I will definitely take some during my learning process.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    1. Image stabilisation - Must
    2. Fast (enough) focus - Must
    3. Tripod Mount and possibly remote triggering or triggering via WIFI camera App - Preferably

Please help me in making this decision. Ease of use (beginner friendly), image quality and value for money are important to me. Thanks in advance

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for an entry level mirrorless camera

All of the cameras you mentioned are very good and don't forget the Sony a5000, which is in the same price range as most of the others.
    The Samsung NX2000 is currently a great buy at its below $300 price. The only real negatives are that it does not have a built-in flash - you have to attach the flash that comes with the camera, and that it's run entirely via its touchscreen, which may be a problem for certain users.
    Here are some nice looking pix from the nx2000:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=samsung%20nx2000
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I would also consider the Fuji. The lenses for Fuji are priced a little higher, but Fuji JPG results have a strong reputation.

If you remove the bokeh requirement, the PL5 is also a great value. More compact than either the Fuji or the Samsung, with very advanced controls for JPG setups. Nice "feel" to it as well. Puts you on the path to a later Oly OM-D SLR-like body with viewfinder.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks Andy and Kelly.
    I'm still torn between the 3 models after looking at your comments. Each of them seems good from what you guys said.
    Maybe I can narrow it down further. Let's say I'm most probably not going to upgrade the lens (will use the lens that come with the camera).
    1. Which of these cameras have a better lens?

2. In term of image quality, is any of these models better than the other? Is it possible that they can all produce images of similar quality?

3. I went to look at the specs in detail and found out that nx2000 has less focus points compared to the other models. How could this affect the shooting experience?

4. Only the nx2000 doesn't come with a battery charger so I assume it's chargeable via usb (without removing battery). Is this good or bad? Which method of charging gives the battery a longer lifespan?

5. If, in the end, I can't make a choice between these 3 models, is it possible to just choose the cheapest 1 among them?

Thanks again!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

1-The NX2000 usually comes with the 20-50mm f3.5 lens, the Fuji x-1a comes with the 16-50mm f3.5 lens and the Olympus E-PL5 comes with the 14-42mm f3.5 lens. All three are good lenses, though the Fuji is considerably larger and heavier than the others. From the reviews I've read, the Samsung and Fuji lenses are better optically than the Olympus lens, though the Olympus lens probably works the best (smooth,and quiet).
    2-All produce excellent images.
    3-All have more than enough autofocus points to do a fine job.
    4-The NX2000 requires USB charging - you don't remove the battery. Personally, I prefer it as it's easy to misplace a battery charger.
    5-Consider price, plus ergonomics. The Fuji X-A1 and the Olympus E-PL5 are larger and heavier than the Samsung NX2000 and have more controls. The NX2000 requires use of the touchscreen to make any adjustments. If you're not a big fan of touchscreens, the Fuji or Olympus are the way to go. If you are comfortable with touchscreens you'll really like the NX2000.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

1. The differences for the wide angle with these lenses are significant. The Fuji has the widest angle, the Samsung the least wide angle, with the Oly in between. The Samsung is the sharpest, but you will only see that with magnification. Tough call in the end.

2. For default JPG images there is a big difference in color saturation. The Fuji is extra saturated, the Samsung saturation is muted, with the Oly in between. Of course there are camera settings to adjust the saturation, and if you are shooting RAW instead of JPG, then saturation is entirely up to you.

3. A high number of focus points comes into play mostly for video. For still photography it is easy to wiggle the camera a little to grab the focus point you want. Many professional photographers use only the center focus point anyways.

4. USB charging can be slow, I prefer a removable battery with charger.

5. No way. The designs of these cameras are very different. Try to get some time in a store handling them and poking around in their menus. Ideally I would like to get a Fuji lens as sharp as the Samsung shrunk down to the Oly size. The PL5 body happens to be a sweet fit for my idea of a nice body, but I'm not "into" a lot of the bells and whistles that many consumers want. If "future expansion" is a consideration, that pretty well takes the Samsung off the table.

Kelly

Thanks for all the points given!! Really appreciate it
    1 last question..
    It seems like nx2000 uses microsd while the others use SD.. what are the differences between the 2? In terms of speed, support (able to use on other cameras) and upgradability (storage space)..

Thanks again

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Regular SD cards are cheaper and come in more variations (at this point) than micro-SD cards, though the micro-SD cards are increasing in popularity due to their wide use in smartphones and tablets as well as in the smaller cameras.

Bottom line is there's no real disadvantage to getting a device that uses micro-SD cards.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thanks guys!! Ended up buying a Samsung nx 3000.. it has a lens as wide as x-a1 but price is lower.. so far enjoying it.. thanks for your help again.. appreciate it

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Enjoy your nex NX3000!
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information