Quantcast Looking for a camera to shoot family pics (toddlers)

+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for a camera to shoot family pics (toddlers)

I am looking for a PAS camera as our family camera. The following are priorities for me:

1) Should be able to shoot quality pictures of moving objects (toddlers)
    2) Fast shutter speed
    3) Should be able to shoot quality indoor pictures without using the flash all the time
    4) Good battery life

I'm trying to stay within the $200-300 range if possible. Any suggestions? Am I wishing for too much?

Thank you for your help!

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

$200-300

Size

Preferrably pocket size, but I can consider other options as well

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

min. 12

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

8-9

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

No

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Family pictures, toddlers

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Not sure yet

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I don't have any preferences

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Wide Angle and Image Stabilization would be nice to have but it is not a must.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Looking for a camera to shoot family pics (toddlers)

For about $250 the Canon S110 is a good buy. It has excellent image quality in good and dim light, a 5x optical zoom, small, good movie mode. Its negatives are it's somewhat slow, no grip, fair battery life. While not a point and shoot camera (you can change lenses) the Samsung NX2000, which can be purchased for under $300, is very small, has better image quality than the S110, and has a larger touchscreen. It comes with a flash that you can attach to the camera if you need it (though you rarely will). It also comes with a fast, sharp lens that's small enough so that the camera remains pocketable. Its shot-to-shot times are somewhat slow.

There are nice point and shoot cameras under $300 that are faster than the S110 and NX2000 but have inferior image quality (though still good). The Sony WX350 has good image quality, is quick and has great zoom - 20x. It also has excellent battery life. The Canon sx600 hs is roughly equivalent to the WX350 in zoom, has better image quality, but its battery life is not as good.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you so much for your help? I was reading the forum in the meantime and came across Pentax MX-1? Do you think it would be a decent choice for what I want or is it really very slow as most reviewers say?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The MX-1 is a fine camera with very good image quality, even in low light. It has an appealing "retro" look, a tilt-up LCD and excellent build quality. It has a few flaws, though. One is that it's relatively large and heavy - not really pocket sized. Another is that write times (writing to the SD card) are very slow in continuous shooting mode and RAW mode. But OK in regular JPEG shooting mode. Another issue, to some folks, is that the default color for Pentax cameras is quite saturated, though this is a real plus to others. You can adjust the saturation level, though, if you think it's too intense. The MX-1 is a good buy at its current price of under $275.

Here are some sample pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=pentax%20mx-1
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you. And what do you think about Nikon COOLPIX L830? Did you have a chance to test it? Its zoom is exceeding my needs I think but overall seems to be a decent buy. Not exactly a pocket size, but I think I can live with that.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Kate27 View Post
    Thank you. And what do you think about Nikon COOLPIX L830? Did you have a chance to test it? Its zoom is exceeding my needs I think but overall seems to be a decent buy. Not exactly a pocket size, but I think I can live with that.
    The Nikon l830 is quick with good image quality and an extremely long zoom lens (34x) and is priced well (under $200). My only issue with it is its bulk - it weighs as much as a DSLR, probably because it runs on 4AA batteries. Its major competitor, the Canon SX510, also has good image quality and quickness and a long 30x zoom lens, but is much smaller and lighter in weight and runs on a rechargeable battery. The SX510 is priced similarly to the Nikon L830.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information