Quantcast Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

+ Reply to Thread

Default Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

You guys have been great in the past, so I am back! I shoot regularly with a DSLR full-frame canon an L series lenses. However, I am finding that for small day trips and vacations I tend to leave the heavy gear at home and end up pulling out my cell phone which of course is low quality.

I need to find a compact camera that is small enough to carry and good enough to motivate me to use it. I am not sure if one exists with the specs below in my budget but your help is appreciated.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $250 or less if possible

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? To fit in a large pocket (compact but not tiny)

How many megapixels will suffice for you? - 5MP or greater

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) - 20X or greater - important

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) - 10 LOL, Yes, I know this will be a sacrifice.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? - some manual controls would be nice but not essential

* What will you generally use the camera for? - family outings, fast boys and indoor shots of dogs and family

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? - not bigger than 8x10 and mostly smaller

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? - indoors, possibly, don't mind using flash

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? - pets, kids playing

Are there particular brands you like or hate? - love Sony for P&S, like Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic. I don't hate any.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? - I need Sony to make the HX50V for $200

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) - Wi Fi is a must (needs to be able to transfer pics to my cell phone for social media uploads)

Thanks!
    My Gear: Canon 6D, Sony DSC-H10, Panasonic Lumix FZ35

Default Re: Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

Amazon shows used Panny LX5 for around $200 USD.

Kelly

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5? It has a 3.8x zoom. Not enough. And no wi-fi unless I am missing something.

I did look at the Canon sx280 but am reading scary reviews about the battery. I also saw the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 for around $250 ($100 used) but the reviews are saying the images are soft. Any thoughts on those?

Super Moderator

The Canon S110 is a very fine camera with excellent image quality - equivalent to the Panasonic LX5 and superior to both the Canon SX280 HS and the Panasonic ZS 25. It's not the latest model so it's currently available at a substantial price reduction. At its current price of about $250 it's an excellent buy.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Canon S110 has a 5X zoom. I am looking for 20X or greater.

I found a Sony WX300 for $199 (new).

Super Moderator

Th . WX300 is a fine camera. The WX350 is even better, especially with regard to battery life, but the image quality of the WX cameras is not as good as the Canon S110.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information