Quantcast Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

+ Reply to Thread

Default Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

You guys have been great in the past, so I am back! I shoot regularly with a DSLR full-frame canon an L series lenses. However, I am finding that for small day trips and vacations I tend to leave the heavy gear at home and end up pulling out my cell phone which of course is low quality.

I need to find a compact camera that is small enough to carry and good enough to motivate me to use it. I am not sure if one exists with the specs below in my budget but your help is appreciated.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $250 or less if possible

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? To fit in a large pocket (compact but not tiny)

How many megapixels will suffice for you? - 5MP or greater

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) - 20X or greater - important

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) - 10 LOL, Yes, I know this will be a sacrifice.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? - some manual controls would be nice but not essential

* What will you generally use the camera for? - family outings, fast boys and indoor shots of dogs and family

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? - not bigger than 8x10 and mostly smaller

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? - indoors, possibly, don't mind using flash

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? - pets, kids playing

Are there particular brands you like or hate? - love Sony for P&S, like Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic. I don't hate any.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? - I need Sony to make the HX50V for $200

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) - Wi Fi is a must (needs to be able to transfer pics to my cell phone for social media uploads)

Thanks!
    My Gear: Canon 6D, Sony DSC-H10, Panasonic Lumix FZ35

Default Re: Compact & Quality so I am not tempted to use my cell phone

Amazon shows used Panny LX5 for around $200 USD.

Kelly

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5? It has a 3.8x zoom. Not enough. And no wi-fi unless I am missing something.

I did look at the Canon sx280 but am reading scary reviews about the battery. I also saw the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 for around $250 ($100 used) but the reviews are saying the images are soft. Any thoughts on those?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Canon S110 is a very fine camera with excellent image quality - equivalent to the Panasonic LX5 and superior to both the Canon SX280 HS and the Panasonic ZS 25. It's not the latest model so it's currently available at a substantial price reduction. At its current price of about $250 it's an excellent buy.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Canon S110 has a 5X zoom. I am looking for 20X or greater.

I found a Sony WX300 for $199 (new).

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Th . WX300 is a fine camera. The WX350 is even better, especially with regard to battery life, but the image quality of the WX cameras is not as good as the Canon S110.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information