Quantcast Camera Help Please

+ Reply to Thread

Default Camera Help Please

okay, so I'm debating getting a camera. A NICE camera. I love art, and nature readily supplies her own. I've found that I miss my old camera that died after having it for almost a decade. I like my iphone camera, but I've found the quality of images just don't compare (my last camera was a 6x optical zoom).
    There's a deal going on where there is a SUPER nice camera, with all the functions I want, and not all of those excess functions I'll never use. It's $260. To compare, my last camera was $200 and only took pictures/videos and was only 6x optical zoom. This camera has a few other things that I really want in a camera, with an optical zoom of 63x! The only things that keep it from being my dream camera is that it is not waterproof (but all the waterproof cameras I could find were expensive and lower quality camera because of extra features like a built in GPS), and it's a little bulkier than I wanted. But I can also spend and extra $60 for a four year service plan - where even if I accidentally drop it in a lake, it's covered. That's really nice. So. It's called a Sony 20.1 Megapixel Digital Point and Shoot Camera, and here's a link with info on it.
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H400 Digital Camera DSC-H400/B

What I want in a camera:
    Under $300. I may be broke, but sometimes art comes before food for me... and I really want to do this well. If you find it for $400, tell me about it, the place I know sells them at amazing prices and if I wait for it to go on sale... well, it might be $150 less than anywhere else online.
    I want it to be able to fit in my purse, so medium or small.
    I want to be able to zoom in on the elk eating on the mountain, or the flower in front of me.
    Image quality is a must, probably a ten. If it doesn't have substantially better image quality than my iphone 5s, than why would I pay for another camera?
    I want a digital camera
    I will use the camera on anything I think is pretty. I don't get to the ocean often, so I guess I don't need a waterproof camera..... but I have taken shots from the Grand Canyon, to the Vegas Strip, to a bumble bee on a flower, to a wild animal in the distance (like a moose).
    I want to be able to make big prints
    Some animals are quick, and sometimes I take pictures of my siblings playing sports, so I'd like to have the camera be able to pick things us quickly, but if not, I have my iphone
    Auto adjust and Image Stabilization are a must since I am not exactly great with technology.
    Weatherproof is nice, but I don't get to the ocean except once every few years. Besides, the place I know has great warranties for even better prices.
    If the screen has a way for me to tap what I want it to focus on, that'd be awesome, but I don't need it. So, what do you think?

Super Moderator

Default Re: Camera Help Please

There's a deal going on where there is a SUPER nice camera, with all the functions I want, and not all of those excess functions I'll never use. It's $260.
    The camera you're referring to is the Sony H400. It has a huge lens with very long zoom capability and takes nice pictures and video. Its disadvantages are it's a bulky camera and it's slow focusing in low light and at the long end of the zoom.

You might want to consider a smaller camera with long zoom ability, such as the Sony WX350. It has has most of the features of the Sony H400 but is much smaller and lighter, has a 20x optical zoom, focuses more quickly and takes much better videos than the H400. It also has much longer battery life.

Here are some sample images from both cameras:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sony%20h400

https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...t=sony%20wx350
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Camera Help Please

Thank you very much. The camera you recommended sounds great, and if I will keep my eyes open for a sale on it.

Thread Information