Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Point&shoot for indoor use

At the moment I have Panasonic TZ7.

Budget
    It would be great to get suggestion for two price ranges:
    100-200$ and 200-400$

Size
    As small as possible

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Ultrazoom would be great but it is no necessary

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    No

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    For indoor use. My niece is 5 years old and I need to capture movies and photos of her playing inside house.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Just normal photos

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes, primarily indoor

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yes, niece playing in park.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Sony WX350

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Wi-Fi is required, NFC would be great

Thank you
    Last edited by crodexter; 07-29-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Point&shoot for indoor use

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Ultrazoom would be great but it is no necessary
    * What will you generally use the camera for?
    For indoor use. My niece is 5 years old and I need to capture movies and photos of her playing inside house.
    Since you will be using the camera mainly for indoor photos of your niece you'll want a camera with a large sensor. Ultrazooms don't have large sensors because that would make their long lenses larger and heavier. Also, unless you'll be shooting in a large indoor area, the long zoom lens of an ultrazoom is not needed.
    Budget
    It would be great to get suggestion for two price ranges:
    100-200$ and 200-400$
    There are no large sensor cameras at the lower end of your price range. However there are a few below $300, including the Canon S110, Olympus XZ-1, Panasonic LF1 and the Pentax MX-1. From $300 to $400 there are the Samsung EX2f, the Panasonic LX7 and the Nikon P340. All these cameras take superior photos, much better than the vast majority of point and shoot cameras, especially for shooting indoors without a flash.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you for quick replay and detailed explanation.
    I was also thinking about NX2000 or NX300. That is expensive option and both cameras are quite big. I am not so much for them but as I understand both have good pictures. I read NX2000 is slower. Would you recommend any of them?

Is Cannon 120 much better then s110 and how it compares do NX300 in low light? At least in theory. I don't want to spend more then $300 but if it takes more to get good images and videos I am prepared to that.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The NX3000 and NX2000 are not point and shoot cameras but are mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, sometimes referred to as MILC. They have large, DSLR-type sensors and take excellent pictures - better than the point and shoots I mentioned earlier. The downside is they are larger and heavier (even when their smaller lenses are attached) and tend to be expensive. The NX2000 is currently on sale for less than $300, which makes it a good deal. Keep in mind, though, that both Samsungs lack a built-in flash, so you have to attach the flash (included in the package) to the hotshoe at the top of the camera. This won't be a problem most of the time because of the excellent low light ability of the Samsungs.
    I read NX2000 is slower.
    From what I can tell from online reviews it can be somewhat slow to focus in low light. But many cameras are slower to focus in low light, including the Canon S110. Other than that the NX2000 is a very quick performer.
    Is Cannon 120 much better then s110 and how it compares do NX300 in low light?
    The Canon S120 is practically the same as the S110, though it is a bit quicker overall and much faster if you want to take a burst of photos (useful in sports and nature photography). It's certainly not worth the huge $200 price differential between it and the S110.
    In low light the NX3000 (and NX2000) are better but not by much as the S110 does very well.
    Here are some sample pics from the S110 and the NX2000:
    Canon S110
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon%20s110

Samsung NX2000
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...msung%20nx2000
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I can get S120 for just $100 more. Older niece is training tennis, a younger one will soon start running and I think burst shot will come handy.
    I am just thinking about video format of Canon.
    In specs it is written: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
    Is MOV problem for Youtube upload and playing on smartphones and TV's?

Is it possible to shoot with NX2000 without lens indoor? I see some offer with flash without lens. I know lenses are more expensive then flash.
    Last edited by crodexter; 07-30-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I can get S120 for just $100 more. Older niece is training tennis, a younger one will soon start running and I think burst shot will come handy.
    I agree. But consider that the Samsung NX2000 also has a very quick burst mode.
    Is MOV problem for Youtube upload and playing on smartphones and TV's?
    Youtube supports MOV so I don't think you'd have a problem with smartphones or TV's
    Is it possible to shoot with NX2000 without lens indoor? I see some offer with flash without lens. I know lenses are more expensive then flash.
    The NX2000 comes with a zoom lens (2.5x zoom) and a flash that you can attach to the camera's hotshoe. As I mentioned earlier, you probably won't be using the flash much because the NX2000 is excellent in low light but you can always attach the flash if you need it. Also, with the NX2000, you can buy an additional Samsung lens (such as the relatively inexpensive 50-200mm lens (equivalent to about 10x zoom) if you need it.

If your choice comes down to the Canon S120 or the Samsung NX2000 there are a few things to consider:
    Image quality - Both are very good though the Samsung is probably better overall.
    Performance - Both are very good. The Samsung is a bit faster in good light, the Canon a bit more reliable in low light.
    Other - The Canon is smaller but the Samsung is easier to hold. The Samsung has a larger, sharper LCD and a better touchscreen interface. Both cameras have a relatively short battery life but the Samsung's battery is longer lasting. The Canon's lens is longer (5x zoom) than the standard Samsung lens (2.5x) but with the Canon you cannot buy additional lenses. The Canon has a built-in flash - Samsung's flash is attached only when you need it.

One very important factor - price. The Samsung NX2000 is priced (including lens and flash) at under $300. The lowest price I've seen on the S120 from a reliable, legitimate dealer (Amazon, Best Buy, Buydig, Newegg) is $449, which I think is way overpriced.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Have you considered the Panasonic LF1? It's similar in size to the Canon S120 and very good image quality including in low light. No touch screen but equally quick, fast burst mode, built-in flash, fairly long 7x zoom lens, a viewfinder for use in bright conditions, better battery life than the Canon S120.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Have you considered the Panasonic LF1? It's similar in size to the Canon S120 and very good image quality including in low light. No touch screen but equally quick, fast burst mode, built-in flash, fairly long 7x zoom lens, a viewfinder for use in bright conditions, better battery life than the Canon S120.
    Hi, thank you for suggestion. It is very good model and I can get it much cheaper then S120.
    2/3 of the S120 price. Now I have to choose between LX1 and NX2000.
    Now I am thinking what will change more over next few years. P&S or mirrorless like NX2000.
    Is it better to buy now P&S and in few years mirrorless or other way.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Hi, thank you for suggestion. It is very good model and I can get it much cheaper then S120.
    2/3 of the S120 price. Now I have to choose between LX1 and NX2000.
    It's the Panasonic Lumix LF1.
    Now I am thinking what will change more over next few years. P&S or mirrorless like NX2000.
    Is it better to buy now P&S and in few years mirrorless or other way.
    Tech is always changing. The important thing is whether your needs will change drastically.
    The main advantages of mirrorless cameras are image quality and interchangeable lenses. If in the next 5 years or so you are going to need better image quality and/or are going to want to spend more money to buy lenses a mirrorless camera will be a better buy. If a P&S like the LF1 meets your needs now and you think it will continue to meet your needs for the next 5 years then it is a better buy.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Cool Re: Point&shoot for indoor use

Size is key. A mirrorless is not a pocket camera, needs a bag. Though not nearly so big a bag as the usual DSLR. If you do go mirrorless, there are plenty of alternatives to Samsung.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information