Quantcast need new compact Digital CAM for trip to SE Asia - GPS-WIFI Preferred.

+ Reply to Thread

Default need new compact Digital CAM for trip to SE Asia - GPS-WIFI Preferred.

Hello,

I'm new here. I teach English part of the year in SE Asia, mainly Vietnam. I've been using cheap Sony Cybershot brands for around 100$ but I want to upgrade to a good camera with at least 30X zoom 16-20MP and most importantly GPS and WIFI ability.

I'm not looking to spend over 500$. I was thinking 300-500$. I always liked the sound and video quality of my prior Sony Cybershot cameras. I was originally looking at the Sony DSC-RX100M II Cyber-shot but brand new it still costs over 600$ and doesn't seem to have WIFI or GPS. I;m not leaving until January 2015 so I have time to wait for prices to go down. I was thinking of a camcorder since
    I usually take videos but since I've don't know anything about those I thought I'd stick to what I know.

Here are some of the Cameras I've been thinking of:

Nikon COOLPIX S9700 16.0 MP 30x Zoom (276.95$) - I've been reading about problems with the zoom and flash on this one but has everything I'm looking for.
    Sony DSC-WX300/B 18.2 MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (398.00$ New) No GPS

I'm leaning towards the Nikon since the price is so low. If I buy it soon I can test it for a while so I'm not stuck out of the country with a failing camera needing to be returned.

Thanks

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: need new compact Digital CAM for trip to SE Asia - GPS-WIFI Preferred.

Your choices are limited, mainly due to your requirement for built-in WiFi and GPS. There's the Nikon S9700, the Panasonic ZS40 (TZ60), the Sony HX50v and the older model Canon SX280 hs.
    All are very good, though the Canon has less zoom than the others (20x) and lacks an auto panorama mode. The Panasonic tends to be the most expensive option - it may be out of your price range.
    Here are some sample images:
    Nikon S9700
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...=nikon%20s9700

Panasonic ZS40 (TZ60)
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...nasonic%20tz60

Sony HX50v
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...t=sony%20hx50v

Canon SX280hs
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=r...anon%20sx280hs
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: need new compact Digital CAM for trip to SE Asia - GPS-WIFI Preferred.

Thanks. The pics really help. I like the Sony HX50v pics better than the Nikon. I've looked up the amazon reviews and it also seems to have less problems bad reviews. Plus I've had very good experiences with cameras of the Sony brand. I'll do a bit more researching on the other cameras you've mentioned and if anyone has other recommendations of GPS/wIFI digital cameras in my price range I'd happily look each one up and add them to my list of possibilities.

I'm just a bit worried that since I'll be using it in Southeast Asia a good part of the year that the high humidity can be a problem. I've read some of the reviews on certain cameras that mention this being an issue in tropical regions especially where I'm living 1/3 of each year.

Thanks again Andy for taking the time out to send pics from each camera to compare.I'm hoping to make my final choice within the next couple weeks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

You can opt for a weatherproof camera, though you won't find one with a long zoom lens.
    Right now the Olympus TG-3 is the best - weatherproof and shockproof, relatively small, very nice pictures and movies, 5x optical zoom.
    Here are some pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...stingness-desc
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The Olympus looks very nice. I'll really have to think about whether I want to give up the extra zoom. I've really had no trouble with my past Sony cameras regarding the extreme humidity of where I travel. With all my electronics I only had one problem and that was with a laptop in Nicaragua. It wasn't the Humidity. It was my sweat. I guess i was typing while sweating and it dripped into some of the keys and shorted their circuits.

Thanks for all the info and I'll let you know what I end up purchasing.

Thread Information