Quantcast Sony HX50 upgrade to first DSLR

+ Reply to Thread

Default Sony HX50 upgrade to first DSLR

I知 currently using a Sony DSC-HX50. I知 still very much an amateur but have been moving off auto and using the full range of settings. I love the portability of the camera but aspire to get a DSLR with RAW at some point. What I知 trying to work out is what I would be aiming for next and therefore how much I need to save! I致e been spoilt with the 30x superzoom and many of the other features such as 20.4MP, 24-720mm equivalent; ISO 80 12,800, 10fps and WI-FI. This seems to be beyond the capability of many entry level DSLRs (?) so I am unsure what to aim for as my next step? I intend to keep working on my skills so I want something I can use for a while without having to upgrade again too quickly. Using the guidance on here this is what I知 looking for:

Budget: I will save what I need (eventually!)
    Size: I want something portable. I have been reading lots about the merits of full frame cameras but I知 assuming that anything would have a much bigger sensor than my current camera.
    Features: How many megapixels will suffice for you? Currently using 20.4MP so that or higher

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Currently have 30x which I love as I can take close ups of tops of buildings etc.

* How important is 妬mage quality to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Yes definitely

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? A wide range as I知 still finding my way. I like landscapes/cityscapes and take macro shots at close range and architecture shots including ones using my 30x zoom. Needs to be a good 疎ll-rounder camera. Definitely want to shoot in RAW.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? I壇 like to be able to

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Possibly

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Like Sony as it痴 my current brand and I hear they have lots of good features but prepared to investigate Canon and Nikon if they do something more suitable.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Tried to look at the Sony range but don稚 know where to start!

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)- Wide angle would be useful along with image stabilization and possibly a rotating LCD.

Many thanks!

Super Moderator

Default Re: Sony HX50 upgrade to first DSLR

Sony's DSLR cameras are not technically DSLR's because they are mirrorless. The disadvantage of a mirrorless "DSLR type" is that you don't have an optical viewfinder - instead the Sony's use very high quality electronic viewfinders (similar to your HX50 but larger, brighter, sharper and more fluid). However the advantages of the Sony DSLR-type cameras are that they have fast continuous shooting and are smaller and lighter in weight (due to the absence of a mirror) than Sony's DSLR competitors like Canon and Nikon. Sony makes 3 low to mid-range DSLR-type cameras - the A3000, the A58 and the A77. The A77 is a fantastic camera but is expensive - the body alone is over $1300. The A58 is much less expensive (less than $500 for the camera and a good 3x zoom lens) and makes more sense for someone just starting out. The A3000 is even less expensive than the A58 and has good image quality but is a lesser camera in many ways. If you want long zoom capability you'll have to buy a separate lens. Sony makes the relatively inexpensive Sony 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 DT lens, which will give you the equivalent of about 17x optical zoom. The lens can be purchased for approximately $300.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Sony HX50 upgrade to first DSLR

DSLR cameras are fundamentally different from the smaller cameras. This article may help -

FPT: Which Camera Should I Buy?

Another ultrazoom, similar to your HX50, that does have the RAW feature could work better for you than a DSLR.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information