Quantcast Relative newbie looking for a versatile camera.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Relative newbie looking for a versatile camera.

Hello, everyone. I'm new here. I am also new to the world of photography, and my needs are beginning to outgrow the everyday cameras to which I am accustomed. I primarily use my HTC One M7, the camera on which I've grown to loathe, and I used to have a cheap Canon pocket camera.

In short, I'm new to photography but I want to grow. It interests me a great deal. Add to that my skills with Photoshop and graphic design as a whole, and I want to start taking my own photos. No more stock images!

I recently went on a trip, and I decided to get a new camera to determine my needs. I decided to try a bridge camera, having the benefit of myriad settings and a super zoom lense in one camera. It came down to a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and a Sony HX300. I had little time to choose, and after 2 weeks of research I opted for the Sony HX300. The zoom was amazing, and the photos looked equally amazing whilst on the LCD. I arrived home and opened all of the photos in Bridge. I was shocked to see just how bad they looked at 100%. Granted, 100% was about 5000px wide. Using a couple of actions and cutting that size in half made a HUGE difference, but I was still unhappy enough that I returned the camera.

I'm back to the starting line. Bridge camera still pique my interest, as do some compacts, but I am still very drawn to entry-level DSLRs. I borrowed a Canon EOS Rebel T3i with a basic lense and loved the photos. The clarity was amazing. But the need to have many lenses, and the obvious cost, is pushing me back toward the bridge category.

I want to shoot outdoors, possibly wildlife, basic spur-of-the-moment things, well-lit indoor shots and outings (parties, family gatherings, general life), and have a camera that does a lot and allows me to travel with it. I also like editing photos in Photoshop, sometimes to the degree of making manipulations and composites.

Cameras I'm beginning to like:
    - Canon PowerShot SX50 HS (Good price, but kind of old. Should I wait for a successor?)
    - Sony Cyber-shot HX400v (Good price, seemingly good update, but is it really much better than the HX300?)
    - Sony Alpha A6000 (Kind of pricey, but seems very small and reviews say photos are very good. Samples corroborate.)
    - Olympus Stylus 1 (Kind of pricey, but very small and reviews say photos are very good. Samples corroborate.)
    - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 (Price is high. Would only shell out this much if the photos are as unparalleled as the reviews suggest. Hyped? Or that good?)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Relative newbie looking for a versatile camera.

To get the best quality images you need a sensor that's larger than the 1/2.3 inch sensor in most point and shoots and ultrazoom cameras. The Canon SX50 hs and Sony HX400v both have the 1/2.3 inch sensor, as does the Sony HX300. They all produce good quality images within limits. Since you didn't like the quality of the HX300's images, chances are the images of the other two cameras would not meet your standards as well.

The Sony A6000 has a large DSLR-like APS-C sensor and the Sony RX10 has a 1 inch sensor, smaller than the A6000 but significantly larger than the 1/2.3 inch sensor. Both have excellent image quality. But the A6000 with its standard 3x zoom lens is considerably more expensive than the Canon T3i and the RX10, with its 8.5x built-in lens, is even more expensive.

If you're really averse to changing lenses and want long zoom and a large sensor, there are a few possibilities that you haven't mentioned. One is the Fuji Xs1, which is a large, heavy ultrazoom (26x) similar to the Sony HX300 but has a larger (3/4 inch) sensor and better image quality. It's currently priced under $400. Another is the Nikon P7800 (or P7700) which are chunky point and shoots with a relatively large 1/1.7 inch sensor and a 7.1x optical zoom. They are kind of expensive - over $500 for the P7800 and about $100 less for the P7700. Finally there's the Panasonic LF1, which is a small point and shoot with a 1/1.7 inch sensor and 7.1x zoom lens and is priced under $300.

Edit: Sorry, forgot about the Olympus Sylus 1. Very good point and shoot/ultrazoom with a 10.5x built-in zoom lens and a 1/1.7 inch sensor. Much smaller and lighter in weight than the Fuji SX1 (but less zoom as well). Not cheap, though - about $700.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 08-15-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thank you, Andy. Very informative.

After reading many reviews and looking up a good amount of sample images, I've decided to add the Fujifilm X-S1 to my list of candidates. The only aspect about it that turns me off is the weight. It's quite heavier than most of the others, and it's roughly two years old. But the larger sensor and impressive sample photos I've found speak for themselves. Thanks again.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Camera will be a good one as a starter.
    Key Features
    12.1 megapixels CMOS sensor
    24 - 1200mm
    2.8" Vari-angle LCD
    2 Years Canon India Warranty

Get more details on Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Camera from their authorized online Canon e store

Quote Originally Posted by IvanRichards View Post
    Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Camera will be a good one as a starter.
    Key Features
    12.1 megapixels CMOS sensor
    24 - 1200mm
    2.8" Vari-angle LCD
    2 Years Canon India Warranty

Get more details on Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Camera from their authorized online Canon e store
    Any word on when a PowerShot SX60 HS might be releasing? Given the age of the SX50, and how comparable it is to the Sony HX300 I returned, I almost want to wait for a newer model. My hopes are that it'll have a slightly larger sensor.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

The Canon SX60 is rumored to be released in September. It should have a longer zoom than the SX50 (about 65x) but otherwise should be very similar. Don't expect a larger sensor than the 1/2.3 inch CMOS sensor in the SX50 - it's not going to happen.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information