Quantcast Nikon 7100 / Canon EOS 70D / Nikon D610

+ Reply to Thread

Question Nikon 7100 / Canon EOS 70D / Nikon D610

Hi guys

I am planning on getting one of these. I like to take variety of photos but mainly photos indoors like models posed or at people at a bar getting intimate shots with a lovely background blur. Quality bokeh which is depended on the lens.

I have done a lot of research reading before I posted this. My first post. I looked up full frame vs cropped and you would think FF is best option but their are arguments for everything.

It seems cropped frame cameras create DOF blur easier because of the crop. I know its all distance related. But articles seem to lean on that cropped cameras do create a easier dof if you want that easily. I am guessing with a full frame you would have to get quite close to make up for the fuller frame. This is important because it is what I am looking to produce.

D800 sounds lovely but I can't afford that. At this point I am just going in circles.

Post Re: Nikon 7100 / Canon EOS 70D / Nikon D610

... cropped cameras do create a easier dof ...
    This statement could be confusing. "Easier" DOF should mean "more in focus", which results in less background blur. The opposite of what you want. For a given field width, the full frame body will use a longer focal length lens than the crop body. For the same f-ratio, the longer focal length lens will have a larger diameter aperture (effective). The larger aperture diameter will reduce the DOF (not make it easier) and increase the background blur. Which is a long winded way of saying that the full frame body wins. Linkys -

FPT: How to Create Depth of Field

Is Full Frame Still the Best? - Digital Photography School

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Default Re: Nikon 7100 / Canon EOS 70D / Nikon D610

Thanks Kelly for the feedback.
    the full frame body will use a longer focal length lens than the crop body. For the same f-ratio, the longer focal length lens will have a larger diameter aperture (effective).
    So that would mean I would just have to move closer to the subject is that right?

So would you recommend the Nikon D610 over the 7100 or Canon EOS 70D. Being it is Full Frame for my needs?

Thanks

Sort of. With the smaller crop sensor camera, same effective focal length lens, you would need to get closer to the subject to achieve the same degree of background blur. If both cameras have the same actual focal length lenses, then no difference in blur. The crop sensor camera simply takes in less field width.

"For your needs" really depends on you. The crop body may already have enough background blur for you, in that case a full frame body would simply be overkill. Or you may be Ok with adding an extra fast lens for the crop body, making up for the smaller sensor.

The crop vs full frame debate is a frequent one. My view is that the lens preference is key. If you prefer zoom lenses, then go with the crop body. Zoom lenses designed for a crop body are lighter in weight and price.

If you prefer primes, then go full frame. All primes can be used with a crop body, but the vast majority of them were designed for a full frame. So as long as you are shooting with a full frame lens, may as well take in the full potential field width.

Kelly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I hesitate to recommend the Nikon D610 because the D600 had persistent problems with dust and oil on the sensor and many purchasers have reported similar problems with the D610.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information