Quantcast World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

I seek the best Pocket Camera money can buy which gives the best picture quality in most conditions, high zoom (8-12x+) and high battery life per charge (500+). We can go ahead and splurge for quality!

Budget: not a factor ($2000+ if needed, but only if really required)

Size: Pocket-size camera - compactness absolutely essential. Importance: 10/10

Megapixels: Can be as low as 6MP (paper-prints will NEVER be taken) but prefer 8-10mp if quality is not compromised; I reiterate price is not a restriction.

Optical Zoom: 8x-14x; would prefer the highest zoom possible WITHOUT compromising pic quality. Importance: 9/10

Image Quality: Topmost priority after camera size. High quality pics w/o flash in daylight and low-light (indoors and outdoors). Importance: 10/10

Manual exposure modes: NON essential

Battery: High battery life per charge very desirable. Can I hope for 500+ clicks per charge? Importance: 9/10

General Usage (type): Street Scenes, Landscapes, Portraits,

General Usage (light): Will shoot in ordinary and low light (evening/night and indoors) without flash

General Usage (action): Moving Objects (flying birds, flowing water etc.) and people in motion will make for 25% of pics shot

Brands/Models: No preferences

Other features: Wide Angle - Importance: 7/10

Video Recording: Essential but quality negotiable

I would prefer a model with some user-tested history - so maybe not a 2009 model. (?)

Well.. what are your suggestions?
    Last edited by flatfoot; 02-25-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Default Re: World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

The new Canon PowerShot SX200 could work. But it is not the most pocketable camera out there. If you're looking for ultracompact cameras, consider the Canon PowerShot SD990 IS, although you'll have to give up on optical zoom.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

I seek the best Pocket Camera money can buy which gives the best picture quality in most conditions, high zoom (8-12x+) and high battery life per charge (500+). We can go ahead and splurge for quality!
    Let me know if you find it. Especially for under $200.

Seriously, no pocket camera will give you everything you want. Jetstar suggested the Canon SX200is. It hasn't been reviewed yet but it should be a good one. I'm looking forward to the Fuji F200 EXR with what looks to be an excellent sensor for great picture quality, a very wide angle view and 5x optical zoom. We should be seeing the SX200is and the F200EXR on store shelves in a few weeks.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thumbs up Re: World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Seriously, no pocket camera will give you everything you want. <edit> I'm looking forward to the Fuji F200 EXR with what looks to be an excellent sensor for great picture quality, a very wide angle view and 5x optical zoom.
    And here I was thinking money would do the trick

Now, the Fuji F200 EXR is a good example 'cos I will need ONLY the 6MP setting if it gives great quality. Wide angle is great too.

Cons: It's not yet in the market and so stands untested. 5x zoom is a little less than what I was hoping for. I am not MP crazy but I do want zoom - minimum 8x. Also in terms of resolution doesn't the old Fujifilm FinePix F810 do something similar with 12/6 MP?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstar View Post
    The new Canon PowerShot SX200 could work. But it is not the most pocketable camera out there. <edit> consider the Canon PowerShot SD990 IS, although you'll have to give up on optical zoom.
    Canon PowerShot SX200 does have sexy specs and though it ain't ultra-compact it can fit the pocket. But it's not yet in the market - I'm somewhat iffy about buying an untested camera that has no expert or user reviews.

OK guys lemme peg it down a bit. What about this..?

6-8mp, 8x+ Optical Zoom, wide angle, GREAT pic quality most conditions, 400+ clicks per charge, pocketable ???

Also would a fast lens and a large sensor help?

Now that ain't too much is it?

And even though nobody cares about money, the budget is still unlimited
    Last edited by flatfoot; 02-25-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: still learning :-)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

6-8mp, 8x+ Optical Zoom, wide angle, GREAT pic quality most conditions, 400+ clicks per charge, pocketable ???
    Right now you have two options. One is the Panasonic TZ4/TZ5, which are essentially the same camera (except that the TZ5 takes HD videos). The other is the Canon SX110is. Both have 10x optical zoom and very good image quality outdoors. Of the two, the Panasonic is smaller and more pocketable and has a wider angle view. The Canon has full manual exposure controls and uses AA batteries.
    Here are sample pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_tz5
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sx110_is
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thumbs up Re: World's Best Pocket Camera with High Pic Quality, High Zoom. Unlimited Budget.

Thanx Andy. Excellent suggestions.

Now I am stuck between Panasonic TZ4 and TZ5.

Both have almost identical specs. The LCD size and 1 MP differences don't matter to me.

Based on reviews: TZ5 has HD video-taking ability and seems able to take "real" 16:9 pics. TZ4 seems able to take slightly better IQ pics.

How important/true are these?

Are there other differences between the TZ4 and TZ5?

Have you considered looking into and waiting for the TZ replacement models?

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...+lumix+dmc-zs3

Dennis

Good specs on the ZS models, Dennis. But I would like some user reviews before I commit to the camera - so that would be too long a wait. April release, right?

The PowerShot SX200 IS is out of reckoning for the same reason.
    Last edited by flatfoot; 02-25-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The other is the Canon SX110is. Both have 10x optical zoom and very good image quality outdoors. Of the two, the Panasonic is smaller and more pocketable and has a wider angle view. The Canon has full manual exposure controls and uses AA batteries.
    Here are sample pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_tz5
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sx110_is
    The Canon is the one I would probably pick, especially since I'm not too crazy about the SX200is.
    Eugene Leafty
    Fujifilm S9000, Hoya 58mm uv/circular polarizer/warming filters, 8GB CF, 256 MB CF, topload bag, Dynatran AT-858B tripod base, Dynatran ATH-A04 tripod head, 2 sets NiMH batts w/2 chargers
    Coming soon: 58mm close up lens set

Quote Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
    Good specs on the ZS models, Dennis. But I would like some user reviews before I commit to the camera - so that would be too long a wait. April release, right?
    Yes, Panasonic press release says April 2009.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information